Saturday, January 21, 2006

What's A Writer To Do?


This has been a week of insight, commiserations, and flat-out epiphanies for me. Watched "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" for the first time, and I was amazed at the acting and directing talents in that little piece. Who'd have thunk Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes for such roles?

Tagline: Attitude is everything.

Was on the phone earlier with a friend from the past, and when asked what I was "doing" now, I told him...well, I write 'smut', for one, and other things that haven't been published yet. So I Google myself and find the one bad review quite prominent for my 1st book (not the one whose banner is above) - lol. Sooo...these things happen. The reviewer admitted she was a college student and that mine was her first e-book. But boy did she trash it. [insert WRY grin]

Considering he thought it kewl that I wrote period, I suppose it's just as well he find the bad as well as the good.

I have a confession to make...I'd like to be the next Olivia Goldsmith some day. Not to die on the operating table (well, shortly afterward) while a doctor removes a teaspoon of fat from my chin, but to have her tenacity. I read where that woman had like 50 rejections on The First Wives Club before she sold, and what a book that turned out to be. The movie wasn't bad either, despite Mr. Cranky's bad review. Seems even 5-million-dollar deals for the author are fair game. I could live with it. I'm sure Olivia and director Hugh Wilson (of "Police Academy" fame/infamy) cried all the way to the bank.

This from the Internet Movie Database info on her:

When Simon & Schuster accepted "First Wives Club" for publication, Goldsmith threw a party for all the top people in publishing, and decorated the room with all her rejection letters.

Have yet to receive my first royalty check for Star Struck, and I'm anxious to see if it'll be enough to cover my $75 renewal dues for RWA - lol. I've learned not to count on anything in this business, but it'd be nice to send myself to Atlanta for the national conference in July with monies earned from writing.

So many changes going on around me...life turned upside down. Sometimes I question whether I should be writing at all. Then I read about others like Olivia or my 1st writer icon, Sidney Sheldon, and I can't help but think...somebody is making a living at this...might as well be me. And the question then becomes, okay...so you aren't aiming for the millions, and you can blow off the occasional bad review instead of clinging to it...but...

(1) are you doing what you want to do?


(2) does it feed your soul?


(3) and can you be happy wearing yourself out doing what you love?


Absolutely.

If you'd like to visit the Recipes blog, this week's offering is all about Cancer Crunchers, recipes and information on battling cancer.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Lyn,

I can say absolutely, positively say that this (writing romance) is what I want to do. It's all I've ever really wanted to do. It just took me a while to realize it.

Tanya

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Darn it. I saw that review and sent up many wishes you wouldn't find it. Something is not listening.

It is the ONLY bad one I've read and she's a tuffy.

I was bragging about the LL book to my editor friend today... (grin)

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Merry said...

Who reads reviews? I read the first book and still like it. So there.

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Tanya, delighted to hear you say that. Same here.

Rinda & Merry - lol - bless you both. That was a bit of a shocker for me, but ya know...I think I handled it well. Didn't get "too" upset - it's her opinion, and she's entitled to it. *wink* THANK YOU for being so sweet.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Sam said...

I love the banner - very lovely!
And the pictures were adorable - the little kitten sprawled on the food, sound asleep, was priceless.
So sorry about the bad review - I hope it's the only bad one and may all the others be glowing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks