Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Food & Fiction

Christmas tidbits from fellow romance writers:

My friend Pamela Payne in Texas did the near-impossible. She managed to snag a contract with Woman’s World Magazine, with a story called “The Christmas Wish”, and it’s out this week on news stands and in supermarkets all over the nation. In 2004, Woman's World had an average circulation of 1,662,062 according to Kate. WW is an inexpensive weekly publication that is jam-packed with several articles, one quick mystery, and one short romance in every issue.


For those into erotic were stories, buddy Kate Douglas has a debut with Kensington’s new Aphrodisia line with Wolf Tales. Man, oh, man, what a cover. Can’t wait to read this one! I was fortunate enough to receive some bookmarks to send to my bats. Thanks, Kate! (If you have time, read Kate’s story of how she convinced her own son and his girlfriend to pose for one of her book’s cover art projects. I can’t read it without cracking up over her daughter Sarah’s acting as prop girl/director.)

I managed some productive writing time last week and completed (and mailed, whoo hoo) two novels Sunday and Monday. Don’t have pub dates on Just Desserts, a romantic comedy, with Ellora’s Cave or Promises To Keep, an Egyptian time travel, with Loose Id, but I’m betting that my timing lands me two simultaneous sets of edits right before or after the holidays. Still haven’t received edits to do for Leaving Mama, my mainstream with Samhain, so that makes three sets of edits staring at me. Thank God for Lex, who emailed me a simple spreadsheet I can use to track everything.

* * *

The chapter headers for Just Desserts are recipes. Here’s one I’ll offer you in advance, for those who don’t take the Kinky Kruisin’ newsletter (this was in an early issue):


River Rat Rum Balls

Ingredients

2 Tablespoons cocoa
Dash of cinnamon 1 1/2 Cups powdered sugar, divided 1/4 Cup rum 2 Tablespoons light corn syrup 2 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers 1 cup pecans, crushed

Sift cocoa, cinnamon, and one cup of the powdered sugar together. Stir in the rum that has been combined with the corn syrup. Add wafer crumbs and pecans and mix well.
Roll into balls by the teaspoonful, and dredge in the remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar.

* * *

When researching for PTK, I found a site online where you can make your own cartouche. Weirdo in me would love to see mine on the spine of my book. Type in Lyn Cash at the site and see if you don’t agree.

* * *

I haven’t taken the time to set up the décor over on the recipe website, but Merry left me a gift: a recipe for Peppermint Cocoa. (It looks great, too!)


Merry Stahel's Peppermint Cocoa
3 candy canes
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup coffee creamer
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
Mix until fine in a blender.
To serve, 1/4 cup in a cup of in boiling water.
Garnish with a candycane as a stirrer and serve.
Store in a sealed jar or vacuum pack.

* * *

Ahem. What are the rest of you waiting for? - lol. I’m a cheap date…swapping recipes is an inexpensive thrill for me. Found a delicious-looking one on Cece’s 12/9/05 blog the other day that I want to try, a Southwest/Mexican soup with no name as yet. (Post is called “Yummity”.)

* * *
Ann Wesley Hardin’s new publication with Ellora’s Cave looks good—check out the cover. She has a tasty and quick fudge recipe that she gave me about a year ago that she says I can share with you.
Ann Wesley Hardin's Easy Fudge Recipe

3 cups chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1-2 teaspoons vanilla

Melt over low heat, stirring continuously. Pour into a greased dish and let cool.

She says this dish freezes nicely, too, and that some folks like to add nuts and/or butter to the mix.

* * *

Last minute stocking stuffers:


For the diabetic or weight-conscious in the family, Godiva has some scrumptious sugar-free chocolates in gift boxes. I put in my request last month for a box of them. Okay, so they’re a tad expensive. I’m worth it. Doesn’t mean I’ll get any of them, but…I did ask.
Be on the lookout for flea markets in your area. I found tiny leather-bound editions of classics like Dicken’s A Christmas Carol (think I purchased 4 separate titles) for a dollar each one year…printed in 1901, I believe. You read that correctly…for a dollar each.

Serendipity is my friend. One person’s junk is quite often a treasure to someone else.

What I’m currently reading: Lost Light, by Michael Connelly. I just watched Blood Work, based on one of his novels, for the umpteenth time last week. I’m a sucker for Clint Eastwood and Jeff Daniels movies anyway. (Have you seen Daniels in “Chasing Sleep”??? – OMG)

Till next time…

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 1:48 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Sugar free chocolate? Sounds depressing,lol.
I love Kate's cover too - whoo-boy - and 'Cowboy in my Pocket' is a terrific book (in my keeper files) (Is that what to say about e-books that are keepers? lol)
I like recipes, especially quick and easy ones. Today I'm making stuffed cabage rolls (a Lebanese dish from my grandmother)It's easy - but it takes up a lot of pots and pans.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Kate Douglas said...

Hey, Lyn! So cool to go to your blog and see Wolf Tales! It was fun to be reminded of the "photo shoot" with the kids for the cover of Cowboy in My Pocket. We still laugh over that one. Luckily our two, Jon and Sarah, are pretty cool with having such weird parents--and their spouses are learning to deal with us just fine. Btw, if you think the cover of Wolf Tales is hot, wait until you read the book... :-)

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Thanks for the recipes. Writing them down....

Tanya

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Oooops. I meant ... printing them off. LOL!

Tanya

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Merry said...

My sister demands the Peppermint Cocoa every year for Christmas. Glad you liked it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks