Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Do You Floss?

Using writers-speak here, of course. Whenever you think you’re done with a project, do you go back through to make sure you’ve flossed out all the cracks, gotten rid of the junk in between scenes? Bob and I were discussing this topic the other day, when Janet offered two photos to illustrate something—that you use a rope when there’s a lot of junk, and a thread when there’s but very little. The photos were so graphically gross that I won’t put them up here, but I’ll tell you what they were – two women wearing butt floss/thong underwear. One weighed about 400 pounds and the other maybe 110. I think her other point was to cover your ass before you send something out for public consumption. She didn’t say as much, but I think that was the intent. The image of the cat was cuter by far, so you get that instead of half-naked ladies.

I'm such a bare bones writer that I rarely get to floss. If anything, my CPs complain because there's not enough meat in there to chew on.

Others go caroling this time of year – I went blogging last weekend. Found a new writer friend in Samantha Winston and was immediately hooked on these two posts: Today I’m A Grape and Teaching Kids the Value of Money. Sam’s an interesting lady – I linked her so I can easily go back to find her.

Devon Ellington is another new one for me. Check out this one: Her post for Saturday, December 3rd. I think we've all had "those days" when life was difficult to the point that writing was even harder.

For you writers searching for direct links to some of Harlequin’s sites, try these:

The Spice Rack
The Next Big Thing
Making Steam, Writing for Blaze

And if you’d like to enter a contest, here’s a good one that Harlequin is sponsoring:

The Intrigue Pitch Challenge


I like reading various types of stories, and it never occurred to me not to try African American romances. Renee Luke had something interesting to say about them over on Romancing The Blog with this post called “Does Color Really Matter?” last Saturday. You can read the 40-some responses, but I’d like to hear your opinions if you’re up for responding here, considering the other post over on RTB is an old one. One of the most interesting responses I read there was from a woman who said she didn’t particularly like blond heroes and that with her the color of skin and hair wasn’t so much a prejudice as a bias. I’m reworking what she said, but I think that was the gist of it all. Another said that with her, she as reader had to fall in love with the hero to enjoy the book, so if he wasn’t her cup of tea (cocoa?) the book wasn’t something she’d pick up.

Maybe I'm showing my age here, but sometimes I just like to read for entertainment, not voyeurism or to put myself into the book.

If you want information on writing erotic romance, excerpts, and the occasional naughty recipes, you’re welcome to join my Yahoo Group Newsletter, Kinky Kruisin’.

…and I’ll leave you with another gem from Janet. THIS one I can post.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

THAT is the cutest picture! :-)

Tanya

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Interesting comments about flossing. I don't think I put much junk between scenes, but I'll pay attention to that from now on.

Oh. I want those photos ;o)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Daisy Dexter Dobbs said...

Great blog post, Lyn! Like a tempting smorgasbord full of tasty little tidbits.

You can’t leave us hanging--you’ve got to post those butt-floss photos. LOL You make some good points about going back and cleaning up stories. It can make such a difference.

I always enjoy reading Samantha Winston’s blog, too. Being romantic comedy writers, she and I seem to think a lot alike in many areas. Loved her post about the guy in the grocery store taking a poll, and one about her husband, who’s a professional polo player.

As for Black romance, yes, I read them. It doesn’t matter what color the characters are, as long as they’re believable, well-written, the story holds my interest from beginning to end, and the romance element is superb.

LOVE the snowman funeral procession! LOL

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

I alwasy have to go back and flesh out. Speaking of flesh, I was thinking about this today LOL I don't so much read for escapism (IE falling in love w/the hero etc.) as I do for entertainment. I ain't here to fall in love, I just want my interest held LOL

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Sunny! I've been so busy then having computer issues this is the first time I've had a chance to pop out. And yep. I actually disect my ms by scenes and review each one before subbing it.

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger Sam said...

I'm SO glad you didn't post the pictures of the 'floss'. The cat picture is very cute!
I write spare too - I end up adding more than I subtract in edits.
(and thanks for mentioning my blog)

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Alas, I've lost the butt-floss photos. Deleted them when I saw that I wasn't gonna use 'em.

Those of you on blogspot MUST tell me in code or words I can understand how to get photos to appear by my signature when I visit you - lol.

Thanks for stopping by. As you can see by my "clean your chimney" cartoon on Sunday's blog, I still have that "clean up your manuscript" thought running around in my brain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks