Monday, October 31, 2005

Trick Or Treat

Happy Halloween
...

Chilly weather today. Seems it always rains here on October 31st and absolutely drenches or freezes our little trick or treaters, but I remember one particular Halloween when I was in 8th grade. Three friends and I thought we'd give the tradition one more go. The sun was shining as we set out at five o'clock, the weather was like spring...warm, breezy, comfortable. Two dogs chased us, and the cute math teacher was washing his car as we approached. Then he turned the water hose on us and soaked us. Every Halloween since has been all wet.

Weird holiday for me, nonetheless. Smoked my 1st...whatever it was...behind the building at a church social when I was 14 with an older boy I had a crush on--he later gave his all in Viet Nam. My son was conceived on Halloween when I was 23. (His girlfriend's birthday is today, too.) And I spent many years after that taking him and his friends trick-or-treating. But the weirdest Halloween was during my college years. The girls in the only all-girls dorm on campus decided to play strip poker...and the last item of clothing to go was your panties. You could keep them on for one more hand, but you had to run down each of the three floors, two wings, in just your drawers to stay in the game. There were no lights in the halls after 10 pm, and this was around midnight, so this seemed a safe bet. It wasn't.

My birthday is one week after Halloween, and we were all known for pranking the birthday girl, only these bitches sacked me early. They set me up to lose that night then had it planned so that all of the lights went on at a specific time, phoned the boys from the boys' dorms and had them sneak out to watch the show. (Did I mention all glass walls on the stairwells, and no elevators?) My screaming as I raced from third floor to first probably woke up every dorm mother and cop on campus.

I played Texas Hold 'Em for hours last night...won about $3000 in play money. What I wouldn't have given to have known then what I know now and to have those heifers at my mercy.

What are your favorite Halloween memories?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 6:06 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I'm laughing too hard to think of any. Go get 'em. Mooooooooo! LMAO!!

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

My favorite Halloween memories? Running through the neighborhood terrorizing the adults. Karma has a way of coming back to bite you. Now the kids do it to me. LOL!

Tanya

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Merry said...

The candy. I was obsessed with largesse.

My sibs and I would spread it out on the floor and play our own version of Texas Hold 'Em - bartering for the stuff we wanted from each other's bags.

Back when I trick-or-treated, no one worried about the problems like today. We'd get a pillowcase full of candy, popcorn balls, candied apples, pennies from the little old lady down the street, and if it was particularly cold, several of the neighbors and our Scout leader would offer a cup of hot cider or hot chocolate to the kids they knew knocking on their doors.

Memories from a bygone era...

We're getting carloads of kids here - its thundering and raining so they're coming in spurts in cars.

Several of the churches down the street are having parties, so I think what we're getting is the preparty kids!

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger Kris Starr said...

You can hate me if you want, but I'm tagging you, Lyn! :)

Three screen names that you've had:

Three things you like about yourself:

Three things you don't like about yourself:

Three parts of your heritage:

Three things that scare you:

Three of your everyday essentials:

Three things you are wearing right now:

Three of your favorite songs:

Three things you want in a relationship:

Two truths and a lie:

Three things you can't live without:

Three places you want to go on vacation:

Three things you just can't do:

Three kids names:

Three things you want to do before you die:

Three celeb crushes:

Three of your favorite musicians:

Three physical things about the opposite sex that appeals to you:

Three of your favorite hobbies:

Three things you really want to do badly right now:

Three careers you're considering/you've considered:

Three ways that you are stereotypically a boy:

Three ways that you are stereotypically a girl:

Three people that I would like to see post this meme:

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks