Thursday, August 25, 2005

Sun in Virgo


My mother has a birthday in a couple of weeks, and I can't help but question whether or not I'm truly her child. She's everything I'm not - craftsy to my crafty, neatnik to my slob, prim & proper to my laissez-faire. My "to do" list, were it toilet paper, would set me until January. Yet one of the lessons she's taught me is that it's much easier to accomplish what I want to do when (and God I dread this phrase) "what needs to be done gets done".

I pushed myself hard in August to beat deadlines, but there is still one goal I haven't reached, and there are only a few more days in which to do it. The thought of that one project has made me ill, so today I took the day off. I played with the pets, scoured the bathroom (ya gotta be desperate when you use that as an avoidance tactic), washed dishes, did laundry, and took naps. I know that when I go back to that project that has turned me inside out that I can accomplish it. Why? Because I've done "what needs to be done" years earlier.

Grammar, punctuation, sentence structure. Reading, writing, listening. All of those are in my writers' toolbox, waiting for me to pick them up one at a time and implement them as needed.

Tomorrow, I'll tackle the back room that needs cleaning out, and I'll whip the characters from hell until they beg for mercy. For now, however, I'll rest and not feel guilty, because I know that I've paid my dues and deserve a rest.

Cocktails, anyone?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have that drink. Let me just say that I love the photo's with your posts.

And that writer's toolbox you have is a great one! Helps me when I need it, because I lost all of those skills in the late 80's when I stopped practicing them and stopped writing to do other things. Funny how you always, always come back to writing.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Kris Starr said...

I'll join you in that drink, too! (Is it big enough for all of us?)

*blinkblink* :D

Just wanted to say how much I love your blog, Lyn. You're erudite and witty and oh-so-clever... it's truly a pleasure to read. Thank you!

(And I'm not just saying that 'cause I like you lots and lots. :) )

K.

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Merry said...

Ahhh...the reason I quilt like a madwoman in the middle of a book...sometimes I need down time to really think about character/plot/motivation. Usually after making a quilt or two, I know what to do when I go back to writing.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Cage cleaning and laundry, those are my dodges. There's always plenty of both around my household.

Love the kitty.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Dee Tenorio said...

Awww, Lyn, didja HAVETA mention doing stuff that needs doing so we can do what we want? It makes sense and darn it, I have no evil comeback for it. LOL!

Can we be drunk when we do that stuff? :)

Smooches,
Dee (The Summer Unwriter)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks