Thursday, August 10, 2006

Fairy Tales

Promised you a sampling of the new Nocturne covers. This one is for Dangerous Temptation, by Kathleen Korbel. This is book #2 and debuts in October.

Kathleen's is a fairy (or fey) story. The blurb: To anthropologist Zeke Kendall, the idea that the heir to the Fairy throne had been watching him, falling in love with him, for years was laughable. Then he met Nuala and lost his heart to her dangerous beauty.

Eldest daughter of the Fairy Queen, Nuala must marry among her own kind to keep the line pure, but her heart has long been possessed by the handsome mortal. Now she will do anything--even align herself with humankind against the terrifying power of her own people--to make him love her.

I'll be honest with you--I know nothing about fairies. I know the Smart Bitches tore into fairies of a different sort a while back, and I usually read their blog, but I haven't read that batch of posts. I love the Bitches, though, so if anyone cares to send me the link to that particular thread, be my guest.

I found it interesting that the first ARC (advanced reader copy, for those who are new to the biz) I'd read from Nocturne would be a fairy story. I write for 4 different publishers (so far...keep your fingers crossed for me on the next one I'm querying), and most of these are epubs who produce erotic fairie material. I've been meaning to ask Ari to fill me in on the sub-genre, to give me the skinny, so to speak, on all things fey, considering she's had success writing about them. The werewolves, vampires, and shape-shifters, I can imagine as both erotic and romantic, but when I think of fairies, I think of Darby O’Gill's 'little people', and my mind sort of snaps at the thought that the minute fellows and damsels might mate with humans.

Then I read part of Kathleen's book, in which the fairies can be mean and hostile? I need to psych myself up to get into this one, and I'm sure it's not due to Korbel's writing but my own preconceived prejudices, which brings me to the real kernal of this post.

Why is it that so many of us have difficulty (or flat can't overcome) our past relationships with say vampires we've read about or seen on television, fairies...and you can take this however you like, love stories between aliens and humans, and humans of the same species but different genders? Romance is romance, right? Sure, as the old saying goes, a bird and a fish can fall in love, but where will they make a home? - But...does that make it 'wrong' or distasteful if they manage to do so?

Obviously not, if sales are any indication for stories who manage to make us suspend our disbelief, which many do. Obviously SO to some who raise such strong objections that they lobby the national RWA to get things back to 'normal'.

In a time in which people work so hard that they've forgotten the fairy tales and stories that thrilled them when they were younger, I think it's rather pleasant to have something fey to believe in.

Now if I can just convince myself not to think of Darby O'Gill and the banshee...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

I *Heart* Faries!!!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger April said...

I love fairies too... especially really hot, barely clothed, male fairies ;-)

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Michele said...

**giggle** I ADORE Darby O'Gill! Maybe it was that Sean Connery had a major role AND he sang in it? LOL

*sigh*, loved his smile. *gush*

If you love fairies you should read the adult illustrated book about the Elven King.... oh yummy! It was light on story and romance, but the fairy king? Oh MY!!!! I really wished they'd taken that towel all the way off...hooboy!
Give me a fairy that looked like him. *wink*

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Kate Johnson said...

I think it's more of a Celtic fae thing--the Tuatha de Wotsit...er, I don't speak Irish. I first read scary fairies in Terry Pratchett (Lords and Ladies, it was about ten years ago so I can't remember the details!). Laurell K Hamilton writes very mean, sexy fae stories, and Karen Marie Moning does, too.

Actually, so do I. I forgot that :blush:

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Korbel had one of those garden stones that read something like "don't step on the fairies" at her Nocturne signing...it wsa cute.

LOL, Cat - but then, everything you write is sexy, woman.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Marie Bellevaux said...

I have this ARC too but am unsure about it. I liked Jaci's fairies...and Karen Marie Moning's fairies, so hey, it is full of pssibilities. Yeah, wrote fairies too...

Let us know what you think. I started HAUNTED and am not too sure I like it all that much. The hero and heroine already are in a relationship together at the beginning of the book. That is a downer for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks