Monday, August 14, 2006

Perspective Is Everything

Ever had those moments when the WIP just isn't working, or when it takes you places you hadn't imagined? I have a friend who has been banging her head against the proverbial brick wall because of things like this, and while trying to offer good advice (hey, she asked) I came up with these visuals from Janet (not a Canuk). God love the Canuks who supplied the visuals she sent, though.

Here's my bid for 6 writing tips for the week:



Pay attention to the details.


Don't overlook what does work when you're weeding out what doesn't.


Don't be afraid to call bullshit on yourself.


Don't work too hard to get what you really don't need.


Re-examine before following a lead that could be the wrong one.

Economize - don't use superfluous words, just use what is needed, but be inventive.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, Blogger Dee Tenorio said...

ROFL, ok, never seen THOSE before!

Smooches,
Dee

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

I had so many of them - hard to pick and choose which ones. Maybe a Canuk will come in and leave me a present for blogging Canadians - lol.

Good to see you - I posted on your guest blog today.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Oh these are priceless! My DH loved the one with the Creatures next to the mashed potatoes..

Thanks for posting these - I needed the laugh. Ironically, it's timely advice. I gave up on one story I had started, lost the thread. Started a new one and am up to 4600 words....blows my mind.
(I'm a newbie and the most I'd ever gotten written was 2400- so this is a big deal for me)

Thanks for posting great advice that delivers with a giggle, a snicker and an outright LOL!

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOved this and they made me laugh...only what you should've said on here is that "Leaving Mama" is now available in PRINT!!!!!!

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

You know, I forgot about my book coming out in print until after this was done, and I thought well crap - I'm not blogging about just me - lol. I need o do that, though. SOMEBODY promised me a review in exchange for a review - ahem. *wink* I think nobody's buying this because they don't know what type book it is. Ah, well.

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love these, Lyn. Especially the sharp-edged sign. Wonder if that one is for real?

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger April said...

OMG, that is too funny!! You have to blog more of those...

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Doug, I haven't a clue, but they ALL sure looked authentic.

Hi, April - glad you liked them. My friend Janet sends me most of my photos. *g*

 
At 6:10 AM, Blogger Michele said...

I just read the small print on the Sharp Edge sign.

LOL! THE BRIDGE IS OUT!!!

In small print?

No Way can that sign be real!
LOLOL!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks