Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Paper Chase

I am the world's worst when it comes to hoarding paper, saving bits and pieces that add nothing but clutter in the long run. So I thought I'd blog it, of course, since I'm a writer and have nothing valuable worth saying ANYWAY, and today is Thursday, and...oh the heck with it. Here's my Thursday 13 for the week.



Thirteen Things about Collecting PAPER Junk

It’s those little things that add up and create misery later when I wish I had a clean office, kitchen, or whatever. Here’s what I’m horrid about hoarding:


1. receipts
2. recipes – Okay, now this one doesn’t bother me much. I just wish I had a better filing system for all of them. I get notebooks started then misplace them. What I need is to buy those big 3-ring binders with clear pages to stuff the recipes like they’re photos or something.
3. ideas for books
4. old newspapers – I clip stuff to send to others – everything from remodeling info, fixer-upper info, to crossword puzzles. And before I know it, that pile turns into a box full of old newspapers. And if the Boy Scouts don’t come by periodically to collect them for recycling, I’m screwed.
5. old Christmas cards, even from businesses I don’t use - lol
6. business cards that will never be used – Okay, so they’re tiny bits of paper, but they’re still useless and need to be tossed.
7. plastic bags, of all things *MAJOR GROAN here*
8. books! – I cannot get rid of a book I loved, even knowing I’ll not read it again.
9. notes & chores lists to myself – LOL – I’m still finding these occasionally
10. old telephone books – now why keep that crap?! – yet I have to toss them occasionally when I realize ‘oh, gee, it’s no longer 2003’ *doh*
11. catalogues that have long since expired
12. magazines – the absolute worst for me – maybe it’s knowing that a tree gave up its life for them – I dunno, but it drives me nuts that I keep this stuff
13. dead manuscripts – I recycle the paper to use as notepads, but daaaaum – all of them?
I’m gonna go clean house now that I’ve shamed myself in public. Ya’ll have a good day and nice rest of the week. If you see a good TV program on “What Not To Bear”, hollah.
Don’t even GO there on “What Not To Bare” – I gained weight this summer – didn’t walk as much – and now that’s next on my list…lose the poundage. Hmm. Maybe this obsession to get rid of the paper clutter is a psychological symbolism for the weight. I’d make a note of it – lol – but I’m trying to lose the paper.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!





Recipe of the day that I thought cute if not tasty: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/boneyard-cookies.aspx



or...here it is...


Boneyard Cookies
From Taste of Home


"With a pinch of 'spook,' these yummy cookies are an eye-catcher at any ghoul-rrific party," says Celena Cantrell-Richardson of Eau Claire, Michigan.


INGREDIENTS
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup cold butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
16 to 18 squares (1 ounce each) white baking chocolate


DIRECTIONS

In a small mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cornstarch. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to sugar mixture.



Shape dough into a ball; flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.



On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. bone-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.



On the bottom of half of the cookies, spread 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon jam down the center; top with remaining cookies. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt white chocolate at 70% power. Dip each cookie in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: 34 sandwich cookies.


NUTRITIONAL INFO

Nutrition Facts: 1 cookie equals 155 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 8:18 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Your post prompted me to glance around my desk area - on top of, above, below, on either side...
I'm drowning in paper and didn't even realize it.
But what a way to go!

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Denise Patrick said...

Oh, man. You've been checking out my desk, haven't you? I'm terrible about throwing pieces of paper away - and don't get me started on old catalogues.

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Dag, nabbit, Lyn! I just started this damn diet, and what do you do? You post a friggen cookie recipe! Gee thanks. Now I have no other choice but to try it. And it's all your fault! ;-)

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Oh, I know - sowwy, Beth and Denise - it stinks, doesn't it? - LOL on the catalogues, Denise, and HOWLING, Tanya, on the cookies. I went to the doctor last week for my quarterly exam, and I'd gained weight - thoroughly disgusted me. All vitals were great, but I'd gained weight. - Grrrrrr!!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by, ladies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks