Sunday, October 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, J!



A friend, J, is celebrating his 9th birthday today, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY, sweetie! His mom has put together a skating party for him and his relatives and friends.

Remember skating as a kid? One of my fondest wishes as a youngster was to dance while skating. Long past my teens, I watched B movies like Xandau and Skatetown, USA and for a few hours glided, if only in my mind, through songs such as Boogie Wonderland (sorry, but this is my favorite clip of it – LOL – no polyester).

I grew up white in a small Midwestern town where few of the whites could dance worth a damn (I was one of them). I’m sure several kids still made fun of me, but I could skate a bit and was desperate to learn how to dance. One day I asked one of the toughest black girls in school to teach me. I cornered Jackie after basketball practice and made my pitch.

Everyone knew that Jackie carried a switch blade in her bra (which was already considerably stuffed) and that her purse had a big metal chain strap. I didn’t care. My persistence paid off. Before the week was out I knew how to do such dances as “The Dirty Dog”, even though I had no clue what the term meant or that it looked rather nasty. I just knew I had to do it.

So, all of that said, memories strung out all over the blog, I’ll reel ‘em back in and end with another HAPPY BIRTHDAY to J. Hope you have a blast today, kid. Hope you boogie your buns off.


Life is a lot like a roll of toilet paper – the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes. So ENJOY!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 7:04 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

I have never even heard of The Dirty Dog? Could you describe it?

Um, on second thought, forget I asked. ;-)

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

I think the title pretty much describes itself, doesn't it? - lol

Trust me, it looked bad when I did it. Dogs would hide their faces in shame.

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great memories! Ah yes, Xanadu...that was a classic B movie :)

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Ah, yeah, you got a point there. :-)

 
At 8:16 AM, Blogger Kate Johnson said...

A switchblade in her bra? I'd be nervous of stabbing myself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks