Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Serendipity Writing #101


As I stated in an earlier post, I have *different* ambitions this year. I don't want to start off with a laundry list of shoulds and should nots. I don't want to corner myself into *obligations* I can't fulfill. I just want to write. One of the things I've being doing differently this year includes asking questions and waiting for answers instead of forcing them as I plod along. Another thing that’s working for me is simply observing.

I've found the benefits of a good cup of Guatemalan coffee, drank slowly, with observations that sometimes spark a topic, add to a paragraph, or inspire deeper point of view. The coffee of choice is a seasonal offering from Starbucks, and I'm gonna stock up on it this year. It's the extremely mellow, full, rich flavor of
Casa Cielo. That and a good slice of homemade banana bread worked wonders for me earlier this week.

As I sipped my brew and looked out the patio doors, I noticed Wilson, my back-fence neighbor’s dog. Four years ago, he was a recovering scared-a-holic who’d been abused. Now he’s a rambunctious whippet who runs and plays, and noses around the wild rabbits who built a warren beneath his owner’s storage barn. He runs with the self-assuredness of an animal who knows he’s loved. Mike, his owner, tosses a ball for him to catch, calls him to the car, and lets him ride shotgun as they head off for a Super Bowl Sunday with other ‘dads’ and their furry children. Both of them move with the ease and grace of older athletes who have paid their dues, won a few games, lost a few, and came out winners through sheer effort and attitude.

I’ve wondered if Wilson, who was adopted around the time Tom Hanks came out in “Castaway”, was named for Hanks’ character’s companion, Wilson…the volleyball friend who didn’t talk back but who was there as steady as a rock whenever his owner needed a chat.

Dorothy Parker once stated that it’s not the big things that kill us, but the little ones. On the flip side, I like to think that it’s the little things that save us as well. For me, this week, it was discovering that every word resonates to a vibration all its own. And it was discovering how much I like the little whippet in back of me.

If you’re interested in the breed, check out The American Whippet Club’s home page,
here.

Cheers, everyone. Talk to you later…
Sunny Lyn

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Misty Williams said...

This is sooo true, Lyn. We all tend to forget the little things that make up the big picture in our lives. We get caught up in everything else that we forget to stop and smell the roses (so to speak). I learned this one a few years ago, I think you know when I'm talking about. And I still tend to forget to slow down from time to time. It makes live more enjoyable when we take our time and look at all the things we have right now.

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Misty, life throws some hard, hard lessons at us someetimes. Yes, I do know what you're talking about.

Was thinking of you and the kids the other day. :)

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Bronwyn Green said...

I frequently have to remind myself about the little things. Thanks for another reminder. :)

Hey - are you coming to the EC thing in October? Please say yes - I miss you and want to give you a big hug!!

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Bron, won't be able to attend - ack. Not unless a major sale comes my way. :(

Miss you, too! I had sooo much fun meeting you. Felt like an interloper a bit - you were all there for Carol, but I'm the one who seemed to benefit the most - lol.

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Misty, I'll always have a kick and a hug for you - lol. I don't think I've ever met anyone so willing to just dive in there and learn to swim during the lessons. Not AFTER but DURING. Meant a lot to me when I was teaching.

Hope Marilyn's class goes well for her this winter. :)

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Misty Williams said...

Hey, what can I say. We learn by trying and getting all those red marks...and looks. hehe. :P Thanks to you for being patient with me. HAHA!

I'll let you know how this next class goes. Miss ya!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks