Sunday, October 11, 2009

On The Hook




















I know Heather thought I was weird when we were walking last week around the lake. We passed this mailbox, and I snapped a shot of it on the camera phone. It wasn't necessarily because of the kitschy fish but because of something I was playing over in my mind.

Ever bitten off more than you could chew? I have. And right now I feel a tad "fish-hooked", as if someone is dragging me around by the side of my big, open mouth. They have snagged me but good, and I'm floundering like a fish on a sandbar, wondering if I'll get tossed back into the water to swim or filleted in someone's skillet as they cook me and eat me.

I did this to myself - it's nobody's fault - and it's not THAT bad of a deal. I just feel like I might have been a little too eager to prove myself on something and that I'll wind up not so tasty to the person who thinks I'm terrific right now - lol. Trust me, I want this one to eat me, to gobble me up, to praise my taste (her taste in buying me) and to fish in the weird waters of my mind again.

*sigh* One friend has told me repeatedly - "You are just afraid of success". Another FRIEND has told me point blank that she fears we'll drift apart if I swim in new waters. (She doesn't trust either me or herself, which bugs me.) Yet another has indicated that she doesn't want me to be disappointed, because I'm really not good enough. *gulp* And I'm not sure if she's being sincere or trying to spare me a heartache later or if it's one of those "you aren't allowed to do anything I can't" deals.

WTF, though, ya know? This is the business we chose, and if we're unafraid or timid or any of that crap, we won't get far. Ditto for if we listen to negative feedback that undermines our self-confidence. Love those who support you, but appreciate those whose attitudes need adjusting or those who doubt you and your abilities. That's my motto today, anyway, and so far it seems to be working, and it is keeping me busy writing and hopeful about the future.

Hugs, all...open your mouths, test the waters, swim, enjoy, and try to get hooked on the thrill of it all if nothing else. *grin*

~ Sunny Lyn (who is bathing in memories of "Nemo" as she writes)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger Alexis Fleming said...

You go for it, Kiddo. I know you can do this.

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger Alexis Fleming said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Alexis Fleming said...

Sorry, double post. lol

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Yes ma'am. Ma'ams. *grin*

Hugs & Thanks. I've got my chin up. Still afraid of tripping - lol. Helps to have support, so THANK YOU AGAIN.

~ Sunny Lyn

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not good enough? No way. Hang in there and I'm thinking of you often. Hope you're feeling better. Think we're finally caving to flu in my house. My youngest is down.

And yeah, she's 18! Hard to believe isn't it?

 
At 10:48 AM, Anonymous Heather Rae Scott said...

*blinks* Not good enough? I'm censoring what I really feel. I'm all about keeping each other humble, but Jeeesus.

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!"

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Jackie Bannon said...

Hey, I'm a firm believer that there is always room for improvement. Even NY times best selling authors have changed things in thier PUBLISHED books and republished them. I look at them and think wtf? If they are still improving, how am I ever going to get into this business. Then, I get around you and the rest of us, and I'm like - I CAN DOOO IT! So - to me - it sounds like pizza and beer time to me. Call me and let's set it up. I'm in town most of the month.

But here's the thing (and please read it all before you freak!!!):

She's right - you're not good enough.

U R GREAT ENOUGH!!! U R GREAT ENOUGH TO KEEP GOING AND GREAT ENOUGH TO PRODUCE STUFF THAT MAKES PEOPLE HAPPY!!! (otherwise, why would they come back for more?)

THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

aaw - thanks, jackie :)

wondering if I am being a whiny heifer instead of a scared one - lol. this helps.

pizza & beer sounds fabulous.

OH, and jess is off work the 24th, so I have a ride to MARA.

I'm good for any day, so whenever you're free just holler. you'll have to pick me up, of course. I'm like 6 blocks from Maloney's, if that helps. lots of pizza & beer places around here.

hugs,
me

 
At 11:52 AM, Blogger Paris said...

Hi Lyn,

I say go for it! Hope you're feeling better today and drop me a line and let me know which one of my downloads you'd like:-) Glad you came to the par-tay!

 
At 5:38 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

PARIS! Really? Kewl. :) I'd love to have Assassin's Kiss. THANK YOU!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks