13 Things I'm Doing This Summer
1. Baking Bread – Challah, to be precise. I’m not even Jewish, and it’s hardly the season/holiday to bake this particular bread, but I’ve a fondness for it. There’s something about kneeding dough, digging in up to my elbows, that gives me a buzz. Braiding it is even fun.
2. Yard Work – Again, maybe it’s getting my hands dirty, digging in up to my elbows, to be repetitive, that charges my spirit. All I know is that I haven’t had a yard like this in so long, the time or the ability to grow things, so I’m relishing the journey and enjoying the fruits of my labor.
3. Plotting New Books – Didn’t say I’d done any actual writing, just plotting, but this is a good season for me as far as sowing seeds, getting new things started. I want to do a dragon book, another mainstream (God knows why – they’re not selling, and they’re often my best works), a couple more m/m romances, and even my own cookbook (#1 Son’s idea).
4. Grooming My Pets – Lord knows they need it. They have all this fur. They’ve been to the vet, have had their shots, their heartworm meds, their flea and tick meds, but still I see them doing the dig and scratch thing now and then. My next project with them is clipping them myself. Gotta get the clippers first. I’ve started doing their dental cleaning as well as their baths, and we’ve all become accustomed to it – ha ha. They sometimes resist the dental procedure, but I’m looking forward to the day that they walk up to me and just smile when they see that toothbrush.
5. Maintaining My Health – Have had the teeth cleaned, have said ‘ah’ at both ends, did the mammogram squish, and am prepping for a colonoscopy and another MRI, this one on a lump on my throat. Hopefully, it’s just a goiter, but the thyroid tests came back okay, so who knows? Wish me luck.
6. Genealogy – I love history, so this one’s a no-brainer. It’s fun, informative, even relaxing.
7. Grilling – ‘Nuff said, huh? I mean, it’s SUMMER, and there are all these kewl recipes, from shrimp and veggie kabobs to burgers, hot dogs, barbecued chicken, and steaks.
8. Late Spring Cleaning – Maybe it’s another nesting phase, but I can’t stand clutter these days. The general rule with The Kid when he was growing up was If it’s not on your butt, put it up. Now it seems I’m going through this with daughter-in-law-to-be – ha ha. She got what she refers to as a Nasty-Gram yesterday, with a caution that she’d prefer the note than a lecture. Yeah, it’s a democracy here, but if my jobs entail cleaning and laundry, somebody had better not make it harder than it already is on me.
9. Spending Time With Family – There are the evening meals, the after dinner movies, an occasional meal outside the home or a shopping trip (usually just for groceries and supplies, but hey…I’ll take what I can get). I love spending time with The Kids. Then…there are those moments like when they bought me Father’s Day presents and we all helped put together a fire bowl and gazebo.
10. Spending Alone Time – I’ve always enjoyed my own company. Weird, I know, and maybe a bit narcissistic, but that’s just the way it is. I enjoy writing with a good dog or two at me feet. I like the self-pampering. I’m getting pretty good at the pedicures and manicures when I take the time. DIL2B has hooked me on facial masks and moisturizing. *sigh* I haven’t been a girly-girl since I was in my teens, so this is…different.
11. Reading Magazines – Everything from Pregnancy & Newborn (no, not ME – 3 guesses who buys these) to Better Homes & Garden to anything on planting, building decks, buying fashion, and learning how to make wine.
12. Examining My Personal Space – I desperately need a new bed with good box springs and mattress, but I’ll settle for just elbow room at this point. Better bookshelves. More plants. An aquarium? Now that’s a thought. Very relaxing.
13. Counting My Blessings – The easiest one of all, and I do this as frequently as possible. All I have to do is look around me to see how blessed I am. Hope you can do the same.
Till next time…
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants