Monday, July 02, 2007

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...

First, I don't iron. Not well, anyway, not with enthusiasm, and not unless I can help it. My mother, God bless her, loves to iron, but I hate it. My mom and her mom were also great seamstresses and used to keeping a hot iron and ironing board handy as they did their thang.





#1 Son bought some shirts on sale a few weeks ago - catalogue, his size, with the Doesn't Need Ironing lie blazened throughout the ad. Well, so much for that shit.



Clearly, these shirts beg to have wrinkles smoothed, but this does nothing for my disposition. I'd rather be cooking, gardening, tweezing my twat, ANYTHING but ironing.




Out of curiosity, I went to this link http://www.enchantedlearning.com/inventors/indexi.shtml to ask: WHO invented the frickin' iron?



IRON, ELECTRIC - The electric iron was invented in 1882 by Henry W. Seeley, a New York inventor. Seeley patented his "electric flatiron" on June 6, 1882 (patent no. 259,054). His iron weighed almost 15 pounds and took a long time to warm up.






Now if I were a cartoonist, this line alone would give me nightmares: Other electric irons had also been invented, including one from France (1882), but it used a carbon arc to heat the iron, a method which was dangerous. Can you IMAGINE?????






One thing I have learned is that ironing a shirt in the wee hours of the morning is one thing. Having to iron one that closely resembles the ironing board cover is another. There wasn't enough coffee in the house to keep me alert enough to get past this without bleary eyes and a sour disposition.






Where are the Mojitos when you need 'em? Maybe I can mix up one of these later.







3 fresh mint sprigs

2 tsp sugar

3 tbsp fresh lime juice

1 1/2 oz light rum

club soda


In a tall thin glass, crush part of the mint with a fork to coat the inside. Add the sugar and lime juice and stir thoroughly. Top with ice. Add rum and mix. Top off with *chilled* club soda (or seltzer). Add a lime slice and the remaining mint, and serve.




My friend Mike makes the best mojito, and he even has special glassware, but we're a few hundred miles away right now, so I'll have to let memories of sipping drinks on his front porch serve me and just 'make do'.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ironing? Someone else's clothing? Why? You say you don't like to do it, so don't.

Your son can and should iron these himself. Do him a favor and teach him what you know about ironing. And then pay him the courtesy of allowing him to iron or not as he chooses and to live with the consequences. If he loses a job because he looks like a slob, his fault, not yours.

I'm sorry, but you sound like an unpaid maid. Stop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks