Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Farming In Flood Waters

Ole McSunny has a farm
Eee I Eee I Oy, My Gawd.

With a cucumber here
And a tomato plant there.
Here some squash, there some beans,
Everywhere some peas and chives.



Ole McSunny has a farm
Eee I Eee I Oy.


A few days ago, I thought boy, I’d sure like to have a garden this year. I wanted herbs and flowers, tons of vegetables, some sunflowers that would bear great seeds for roasting. So I bought seed, peat pots, potting soil, and I did some planting to get some starter plants. My mistake was in thinking that it’d take a couple of weeks for anything to sprout.

Less than a week later, and I’ve used up every plastic dish, every cake pan that had so much as a scratch, what little egg cartons I’d saved for this purpose, and old coffee containers. Every ingredient that could fit into a plastic baggie was dumped so I could use the receptacle for potting plants. And the shit is GROWING – QUICKLY! It’s rained for days, and I have no tiller yet. Come to find out, we must’ve left the new shovel I’d purchased when we moved two autumns ago. That leaves good ole Sunny begging butter bowls from neighbors and repotting flowers in order to free up their containers.

The squash is about 6” tall as I type. The onions have organized a union and are demanding a trough of their own. I heard the tomatoes plotting to reach the French doors and let in the squirrels and rabbits to help with de-populizing the mesclun, leafy lettuce, and iceberg lettuce.

The peppers were smart, I guess – they’ve said screw it and have refused to sprout until everyone else is planted firmly in the ground.

What does a girl do when the weather refuses to cooperate? She cooks. You can find what I’ve been up to at Lyn's Licks & Laughs Recipes .

Have a good week, everybody. Share if you have a really good veggie dish recipe. I’ll introduce it to my veggies in another month or so. *grin*

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Comments:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Merry said...

LOL! I plan to plant a garden, I was waiting for the flooding to stop...

Maybe I should just come up there and get cuttings...or take a few pots off your hands LOL.

 
At 4:59 PM, Blogger Denise Rossetti said...

Wow, I'm in awe. I've given up on the garden, it looks like a jungle. These days, there's always something more important to do - between the edits and the day job... *sigh*

Love the idea of the onions forming a union. *g*

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

I talk to my plants - maybe that's the trick? I also covered them with Press & Seal for their first two days - lol.

*waves to Kate and sends breath of fresh Kansas air their way*

Mer, I'm so glad I'm in Kansas instead of Oklahoma again - have you seen all the rain they've had? Flash flooding where my folks live - school buses couldn't take the kids home and had to deposit them at a church until their parents could come get them.

*waves to Denise* :) You have my sympathies on edits and day job. Ugh. One or the other, please.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks