Friday, September 12, 2008

Cooking Instead of Writing

I make spectacular sauces and gravies. Let me get that out there first. Sometimes I cook ahead so that I won’t have so much to prepare on a day that requires a large investment of time.

Earlier in the week, I get The Kids out the door, off to work, and along with the “I love you” from both of them was a “Mom, EAT SOMETHING.” So I gave a final wave goodbye, went inside, and I pulled out a couple of day-old biscuits, thinking I’d top them with a nice sausage gravy that I’d saved. I break up the biscuits, because I’m like that and don’t always want to do so with a fork. I pull out the bowl of white stuff, sniff it, dip a finger in it, and…ugh. Wrong bowl. Besides, I don’t think the linguine would do well without the Alfredo sauce that evening.

Here’s where the head injury and disaster step up to the plate. I go to put the Alfredo back into the refrigerator, lean forward too far for the ole head, spill some of the sauce, slip, hit my head on the refrigerator door, step back…into the Alfredo, and do an instant duck-walk that doesn’t work. Boom. Now the stuff is on my ass, not just my hands, feet, and floor.

That was earlier. I manage to make it through a couple of days without mishap, if you don’t count the time I was busy writing in the office and burned the meal on the stove. Then last night…the kicker with last night’s cooking.

Chopped veggies and got them into a pot for the stew, turned on the stove then went to garage for something, looked down, and wow…extremely jagged thumbnail. Had been talking to The Kids and suddenly started muttering shit, oh shit, oh shit and storming back into the house. Guess they thought I’d lost my mind.

Them: (following me) What are you doing?

Me: (dumping vegetables from pan on stove into colander in sink) I’m looking for my thumbnail.

Sure enough – there it was, wedged solidly inside a slice of carrot like some curly, acrylic maggot.

A smart girl would probably crawl back into bed and read today instead of tackle Asian food made from scratch.

Maybe I’ll just bake cookies all day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Phoenix said...

LOL!! I know I shouldn't laugh but you DID put it out there. Just glad to know I'm not the only clumsy one.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Gretchen said...

Do we need to get you one of those rubber suits so you bounce a little better?

(visual of Sunny bouncing around the kitchen like a superball) Ok, maybe not. Be careful girlie, see you in a couple of weeks. gj

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Bronwyn Green said...

I was reading this and my mouth kept dropping open farther and farher until I'm sure I looked like the village idiot.

A.) I'm glad you're not hurt
B.) I'm glad I'm not the only one who needs a stunt double to navigate life!

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Lyvvie said...

Poor you and the sauce debacle.
You're the Saucy Saucier!

I made poivre sauce for the first time last night! It was great. You're the Saucy Saucier!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Thank you, all.

Lyvvie, I've never made that, but it sounds delicious. I looked up a couple of recipes, and one was with a dijon cream sauce that just made me drool looking at the recipe - lol.

Now. Ya'll quit laughing at me. *g* It WAS funny. I just couldn't believe one damned thing after another, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks