Saturday, February 07, 2009

Serendipity Writing #102



Giving birth to ourselves.

* * *
One of the treats I've given myself this year are books by Sarah Ban Breathnach. First, I found Simple Abundance (you can learn more here: http://www.simpleabundance.com/) then Moving On, and Romancing The Ordinary. Since I'm not a big tv person, I missed knowing that as a writer, she is HUGE. Oprah had touted her. ANYWAY...I'm loving her back-to-self methodology.
* * *

Found out she had a similar head injury. Difference: a garage door crashed upon me, while she got whacked by a ceiling beam in a restaurant that flattened her. Mainly, I'm discovering me again. Like I was lost? Well. Sort of. But I'm re-discovering, and it's actually a pretty neat process.

* * *



There are all kinds of exercises, and it's not giving gratitude that hangs me up. Nothing like that. It's coming up with things like PLAY - play? What the hell? Don't guess I've really played per se in a while, so that one kind of kicks my arse from time to time.

* * *



That said, the reconnecting involves simplifying life, and I'm liking that a lot. I like slowing down, smelling the roses, and tuning in to the smells, sounds, touches of life. One of the drawbacks to certain head injuries is that you lose your "senses" - literally. And it's friggin' scary. I chalked it all up to oh, well, that's just me. If I smoke (and I did - a lot), I'll lose my sense of taste. I have glaucoma and other problems, so that probably explains the blurry vision. Hearing loss - I had no excuse for that when it happened. PAINFUL sense of touch, like a sheet touching my bare feet felt like fire scorching them. That weirded me out. So reading that somebody else went through this and that it was NORMAL after a brain injury sort of took me aback and made me go hmm a time or two.

* * *



It’s quite strange, this giving birth to myself. Imagine giving birth to something (someone) who has lived before. You kinda know what you’re in for, but at the same time, the subconscious is scared shitless of the monster that may emerge.

* * *



I’m doing it anyway, like a friend who is having a baby out of wedlock, simply because “it’s time” and “I can and I want to” – so everyone else can either sit and watch or join me for a 2009 writing rebirth. But This Year has been different so far (which is a good thing), and maybe with creative maneuvering and dedication it’ll be even better.

* * *



See ya next time.



~ Sunny Lyn

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Denise Patrick said...

Hey there. Sorry to hear about your accident in January. Are you doing okay now? I AM glad to hear you've quit smoking. Hope you can keep it up. The last I read, Josh in the Batcave was having real trouble quitting.

anyway, I've started La Bella Luna and am really enjoying it so far. It's on my Kindle - which makes it easier for me to read anytime I want.

Take care of yourself.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Hey, Denise! Glad you're enjoying La Bella Luna - I had fun writing that one. (I call it "the bat book" since so many of our 'bat' friends' names are in it.

My accident was January 2001, but it's all good, girlfriend. I've learned to cope with it. Just had no idea that so many sensations are lost when one has a head injury, that's all. :)

Hope you have a marvelous week.

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger Bronwyn Green said...

I like the idea of rebirthing yourself - kinda like becoming your own midwife.

When you're making time to play, may I make the somewhat ridiculous suggestion of a coloring book and crayons? I picked up one with faeries in it at the dollar store and a 64 pack of crayolas (cause I'm a color whore) and have a lot of fun with it.

Also, that "Sculpy" clay that you can get at the craft store and bake in the oven is great for playing too. :)

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

I haven't colored in years. What a great idea. *grin* Good to see you, my friend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks