Thursday, April 29, 2010

RT Columbus, Ohio 2010


<~~~ the lovely and stylish Molly & Pat
***
The first thing everyone has asked is WHY Ohio in the first place? I'm betting it's because it's mid-America and because EC, the biggest contributor (as in their authors and readers, as in their party, which is always a highlight at RT) is based in Ohio. But other than that...I agree. What the hell?
***
Ah, didn't get a photo, but for those who know Raelene Gorlinsky, the publisher for RT? She looks fabulous. I swear, the diet she's on, the way she had her hair fixed (and I didn't see her in a hat - lol - she had just arrived when she came and sat at our table outside), whatever it was...she looks 10 years younger. Very pretty. And Jeania with EC is still cute as hell. The woman never ages.
***
I met some nice local folks there (and wonderful staff at the hotel), but the location sucks. Columbus is a former industrial city, and I'm not sure what it is now, but the downtown area is pretty bleak and void of eye candy. There are some terrific boutiques and food places, but...meh. Lex and I had to take a cab to Wal-Mart and go through 'da hood' (and people, I've lived in da hood in Oklahoma City, and this one scared the crap out of even me)...e-friggin-gad. Did some people-watching, though, and the norm there for women of all ages seems to be Capris, ankle socks, athletic shoes, and ankle tattoos. Amazing. Didn't see but a few flip flops in Wal-Mart, only a few bottle blondes with heels, and no sandals. But tons of the Capri/Nike/tats.



<~~ a sample of Theresa's knitting expertise - omg this was pretty!
The thrills for me were meeting up with friends and editors. Shared drinks and conversation with Angie (Carina Press - I'm too lazy to link you today). Had meals and convo and tons of laughs with Theresa (Red Sage Publishing), Molly, Lex, Sahara, Jill, several authors, readers, and RT representatives. Of course, there's Kathryn The Great (Kathryn Falk, founder of Romantic Times Magazine, discoverer of Fabio and his ilk.
***



<~~ Alexis at our room's window - it always pains me to say goodbye to my friend, and this trip was a short one for me, but it was better to at least spend some time with her than none at all.
***
There are probably a few waiters at the restaurants who are either delighted or dismayed that I didn't stick around. (Yeah, Sunny showed her ass when we were kept waiting. You really don't want to know how I got them to wait on us.) I only flew in for 3 nights prior to the convention so I could see Lex, T, Molly, and others.
***

I'm in the midst of packing up a house (we're not moving far, but it still has to be done), or I'd leave more tidbits (and there's a lot of shake up in the publishing industry at present) and photos. But for now, this is it. Enjoy.
***
~ Sunny

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger Jackie Bannon said...

I'd hate to have seen what scared YOU!!! I'm glad you had some fun though. Can't wait to hear the stories!

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Typical big city downtown with interesting old buildings, but there were several blocks of spray-painted buildings, overgrown yards, thugs with thug wear - lol. It was just creepy.

Other stories...Lex will probably out me and post one or two before I get to see you. Don't believe everything. I'm not guilty, just misunderstood...like my characters.

Looking forward to the next crit session. :)

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Liz Wolfe said...

WAAAAAAHHHH! I wish I could have been there! I want the other stories, too.
Glad you got to spend some time with Lex and Theresa, et al.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

hey, liz - oh, you'll get the stori4e - lol. you were missed. i'm currently pup sitting for carol while she enjoys the bliss in ohio. will be back home tomorrow evening and probably ring you monday. hope all is well.q

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Molly Swoboda said...

RT fosters a very surreal view of the daily grind. Was *wonderful* to visit with you and Lex. Hope we didn't wear you out! ~Molly

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Molly, I had a BLAST - sooo enjoyed my visit with you. Now we just need to figure out how to work 2011. Need my Mol' fix, and two years is too long.

:)

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Kate said...

that knitting looks very bat-like. thanks for the report. more pictures, if you pls? tanks.

And good luck on the (shudder) move.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks