Saturday, April 29, 2006

Rainy Day Recipes & Musings



Spring day, soft rain falling, everyone getting over colds from the weird weather configurations the previous month – as in 99 degrees one day, snowing the next week, then back to higher temps, cold again, then tornadoes…typical Oklahoma spring weather. The joke is: if you don’t like our weather right now…wait about 15 minutes.

The Kid’s Girlfriend likes potato soup. I’m not her mother, have no clue how her mom made this particular dish, and I’m not sure how to go about making it to her liking, but I’m gonna attempt it today. This one looks good. Granted, it’s technically a chowder, but close enough, right? Looks good anyway:


Ingredients:
· 1 pound Bacon, cut into 1/2 pieces
· 1 cup chopped onions
· 4 cups diced potatoes
· 2 cups water
· 1 teaspoon salt
· pepper to taste
· 2 cans soup (Cream of chicken or Cream of mushroom)
· 2 cups sour cream
· 3 cups milk


She and I have both been craving blueberry muffins, and I’m cheating on this one – strictly out of the box, into the pan, into our mouths. Right now she’s at work, but I think I’ll surprise her (maybe us both – lol) when she gets home and have the soup waiting and the muffins for a snack later, since The Kid won’t be home until nearly midnight – long, long work day for him.

A bistro I used to frequent back when I was teaching college English had the most marvelous wild rice & mushroom soup – need to find a recipe for that – they also had a Wisconsin cheese soup that hit the spot.

If you’ve ever wondered how to make quick and easy pancakes that are ‘different’ while tasty, Betty Crocker mixes are wonderful as the base. Just choose what your taste buds crave:

Betty Crocker® Premium muffin varieties:• Apple Streusel• Banana Nut• Cinnamon Streusel• Double Chocolate• Lemon-Poppy Seed• Twice the Blueberries• Wild Blueberry

What I do is add 2 large eggs, a cup of water, ½ cup of milk, and ¼ cup of vegetable oil. Batter up, pop into the skillet, and top with butter & your favorite syrup or top with fresh fruit & whipped crème.

I really should be writing – I have projects that demand my attention, but what I really want to do, believe it or not, is clean house – finish some unpacking from the move (I’ll be doing this for some time, I fear), mopping the bathroom tiles, and baking. TKG, aka DD to me, has my umbrella, so walking is out unless I can find my water-proof hooded jacket. Writing is still a possibility, once I get some of the other out of the way to my satisfaction. There’s the rub – ha ha.

Richard in Redeeming Richard needs to come out of his coma, fight his way back to what for him will be an altered reality, and learn how to make love to his wife all over again. Tony & Aidan in A Near-Life Experience need to find their happily ever after. My heroine in All Or Nothing needs to out-fox the bad guys and find her sister. Alas, so many people in my head and so little space in the brain. And cooking is, after all, a creative venture, no?

Joke of the day from Janet, while I'm thinking of it:

Husband: I can't sleep without it.
Wife: Why do you think of things like this in the middle of the night?
Husband: Because I'm Hot.
Wife: You get hot at the darnedest times.
Husband: If you love me I wouldn't have to beg you.
Wife: If you love me you'd be more considerate.
Husband: You don't love me anymore.
Wife: Yes I do, but let's forget it for tonight.
Husband: Please...come on
Wife: Alright, I'll do it.
Husband: What's the matter? Need a flashlight?
Wife: I can't find it.
Husband: Oh, for heaven's sake, feel for it!
Wife: There! Are you satisfied?
Husband: Oh, yes.
Wife: Is it up far enough?
Husband: Oh, that's good.
Wife: Now go to bed and from now on when you want the window open, do it yourself.

Now...I'm ready to raid the pantry and start cooking.

What are some of your rainy day recipes that you pull out when you need comfort foods?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 1:39 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Soup.....any kind but especially potatoe--also good when I'm sick!

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Merry said...

Hey - Mom and I discovered a little tea shop here with the BEST potato soup!

It was cheesy potato and you will NOT believe this - but drop a few chunks of Velveeta brand cheese food in the soup...mmmmmmm...and a bit of bacon.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Sam said...

potato leek soup (my kids' favorite)
(Three leeks - two potatos - bouillon cube - water - butter - 'voila')

Chop up leeks including white & all the green. Melt butter and toss in leeks, stir and cook until completely softened. Add water and two bouillon cubes, peel potatoes and add. Cook until everything is ready to puree & then puree in a mixure. Correct seasoning. Add a dollop of plain yoghart or cream when you serve it.
If I have a recipe that asks for the white part only of the leek, I will freeze the greens and save them for this soup. It is really yummy.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger THIS! Christine said...

So, Lyn, how was the soup?

X

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Soup was great, X - but now I have to try everyone else's recipes - lol. THANK YOU, everyone. Love getting new recipes (Sam) and ideas for garnishing them (Merry).

Cece, it's always great to see you!

Now I have to do what I hate - post a blog tooting my own horn - lol. Have a book coming out tomorrow.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks