Monday, April 10, 2006

News About Town, Country, & City



One of my favorite cover artists is also a writer, and he has a new story out with Samhain - by all accounts it's well worth the read (and it's SHORT for those of you who like quickies *snort*). Carpenter’s home page is here.

Also, available now, is a book by a friend, and Ari's book is garnering a lot of great reviews. Ari’s home page is here.


Joke of the day from Janet (pronounced Ja-nette):

Converting a Bear

A priest, a Pentecostal preacher and a Rabbi all served as chaplains to the students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette. They would get together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop.

One day, someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear. One thing led to another and they decided to do an experiment They would all go out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it.

Seven days later, they're all together to discuss the experience.

Father Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various bandages, goes first."Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. An when I found him I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quickly grabbed my holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion and confirmation."

Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory he claimed, " WELL brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle! I went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to my bear from God's HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of him and we began to wrestle. We wrestled down one hill, UP another and DOWN another until we came to a creek. So I quick DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent the rest of the day praising Jesus."

They both looke! d down a t the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed. He was in a body cast and traction with IV's and monitors running in and out of him. He was in bad shape. The rabbi looks up and says, "Looking back on it, circumcision may not have been the best way to start things out with my bear".

Handyman Don News/Update:

Don is recovering nicely from a car wreck this weekend. He was involved in a hit and run accident and banged his head and shoulder pretty good, but is expected to recover fully. Injuries of the other driver are unknown due to the fact that they left the scene before Don could exit his vehicle. Other vehicle was a ruby red SUV of undetermined make and model.


Some of you have asked about the fires in Oklahoma, I'm safe, but they've hit all around me the past few weeks. We don't so much as fart outside, though.

Personal ad of the day:

SINGLE BLACK FEMALE seeks male companionship, ethnicity unimportant. I'm a very good girl who LOVES to play. I love long walks in the woods, riding in your pickup truck, hunting, camping and fishing trips, cozy winter nights lying by the fire. Candlelight dinners will have me eating out of your hand. I'll be at the front door when you get home from work; wearing only what nature gave me. Call (404) 555-5555 and ask for Daisy, I'll be waiting....



Friends are so cool. Kate sent me the news that ecata had given my first Ellora’s Cave book a major 5-star kudos. You can read the review here.

And last but not least...food for thought:

Two Wolves

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people. He said, "My son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all.


One wolf is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority and ego."


"The other wolf is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, "Which wolf wins?"


The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Sam said...

Congrats on your Five Star review at e-cataromance! Wow!
And LOL about the joke with the bears!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

"ecata had given my first Ellora’s Cave book a major 5-star kudos"

Congratulations, Lyn! That's wonderful news, lady!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

thank you, thank you *takes bow*

I have a really difficult time posting reviews...always makes me feel weird, so thanks for the feedback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks