Tuesday, April 18, 2006

In the News - the Good Stuff



My favorite sidewalk artist, Julian Beever has been working hard on his 3-D pieces. Take a look at some of his latest works. There's the one where politicians meet their fate, the self-portrait, in which he's facing a drawing of himself, the swimmer, and the seal in the pool. I've enlarged the self-portrait, which is one of my favorites.

This man must have the best perspective eye for detail - it's just mind-boggling to me. Wish I had that quality - and wish I could apply it to my writing.

So I thought. What does make 3-D writing? What is it that makes a story "pop" when others are flat? To quote Leslie Wainger of Harlequin, "It's all in the execution." But what does that mean? To me, it means 3 things: perspective (how we as the writer view something), details (and here's where execution really comes in...not so much the LY adverbs and adjectives so much as the information itself), and delivery (grammar, style, and voice).

Feel free to correct me if you have a better plan, but for me, that's what execution boils down to: how we view our material, the manner in which we tell the story, and the polish and finesse we use in our presentation.

Considering last evening's depressing blog, I thought I'd come up with some things that pertain to writing, but I couldn't resist a little art along with it. This cartoon that supposedly depicts evidence of global warming tickled my funny bone.


Now if you really want to go deep with me, apply all of the above to yesterday’s blog. What was it about that story that made it 'pop', made the public pay attention, have reactions (albeit negative ones)? The material was something close to many of us...a child, and the details--meaning the information itself, plus the stark/frank/candid delivery...all combined to make for a gut-wrenching moment as we read what happened. I'm not saying that it takes horror (although it's a kewl genre when we're reading fiction) to get a reaction out of a reader. I'm saying that the elements listed above apply to all genres. I can't take credit for the writers who wrote about Kevin Underwood. All I can claim are my reactions, my personal feelings.

I really hate making a point, because I'm always afraid I belabor the damn thing, but there you have it. I'm trying to make sense of what happened to Jamie Rose Bolin, and I can't, but I can make sense of how I read the words that described the events, I can analyze what made me react as a reader, and I can apply the techniques to my own writing...maybe. We shall see.

In other news, I've had a few pretty good reviews on Just Desserts. Here are some links for those who care to read them.

Erotic Escapades

Diana’s Reviews

Ecataromance

Thanks for sticking with me - have a great rest of the week.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

OMG! I love the undies and how they've gradully disappeared! LOL!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Don't you just love Beever's work??
Amazing!

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger Melany said...

Congrats on the great reviews! I love his work. How very cool.

And i like your analogy to the post you made yesterday. *shivers* that guy is just plain scary.

Lany

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Thanks, ladies. That guy confessed, by the way, according to the newspapers. I haven't been able to watch it on the television since the other night. Haven't even been able to watch my favorite re-runs of Law & Order. Just as well - lol - I had edits hit me from EC day before yesterday and edits from Samhain yesterday. And I'm either an editor's dream or their worst nightmare - I get my edits back same day or the next day every time, which probably screws with their scheduling and somehow puts the ball back into their court too early.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks