Friday, May 05, 2006

4 -pm EST Samhain Chat + The Rainy Day Muse


My last night without central heat and air, and it's raining too hard for me to sit outside on the covered porch - the spring wind likes the chimes and makes them sound pretty, but it doesn't do much for my reading pleasure, and the laptop is out of the question.

Surviving without central heat and air is quite doable in Oklahoma. The dogs sweat so bad they have more body odor than we do, it’s freezing cold one day, 99 degrees the next, then back into the forties, but Okies are used to this. We expect this. It’s the guy who steps off the plane from LA or the lady from Jersey who have difficulty adjusting...and those of us without central h/a.

One week the daffodils are shakily peeking out of the ground, the redbuds are blatantly unafraid – the next, the snow has killed them all off. But wait a week. Then the tomato plants are threatening genocide because of the heat. What is it with Nature in Oklahoma? We’re not close to an ocean – the only things to surf are the corn and wheat fields. Could global warming be affecting us this strongly already? What happened to waiting for our grandchildren to inherit this shit? As the Colbert Report announced, none of them will even know what a glacier is in a few years, anyway.

And if you haven’t watched the video of Stephen Colbert at the White House Correspondents’ dinner, it’s long but worth it if you’re the slightest politically minded. What? Too Andrew Dice Clay for public consumption? Doesn’t anyone have an appreciation for irony any more, or was this too close to the truth for comfort? Here’s the site that has the video, commentary, plus a transcript of the entire routine.

Rambling here - heat stroke? Maybe I'm giddy because the central h/a guys (Handyman Don, and two fantastic and funny brothers - Perry & Al) have been here the past two days (and are coming back tomorrow to finish...hopefully). I haven't had central h/a since Clinton was in office, if that tells you anything. I take my morning coffee & nighttime cordials on the covered porch, listening to the rain (and the dogs protesting inside because they can't go outside - can't trust 'em not to get away from me at 1st cat that crosses the yard). So this will be a new high for me - then again, maybe I'll miss the outdoors...or maybe I'll read more when I'm not computing.

There are new poisonous frogs discovered recently in what has been described as: A cave so huge helicopters can fly into it…discovered deep in the hills of a South American jungle paradise.

We’ve got crustaceans with fur, no less. What next? An alligator with human skin boots?

Now I know why I write romance – just watching the news is enough of a reality check to make my imagination claustrophobic.

The only alternative, of course, is to not watch it and spend that time sitting at the computer typing. But then what? I'd only blog about furry lobsters, killer frogs, and the weather when I'm procrastinating. And I am most certainly procrastinating. Have four more books coming out this year (hopefully), five that are current WIPs, and about nine on the backburners waiting for their turn. Oops.

Such is life. Happy birthday, Kris - I'd send a case of Dr. Pepper with Berries & Creme to Canuk-land if I could. Hope you party your bum off and have lots of fun.

Alex, no more doctors, creepy-crawlies or flying creatures, KOD nightmares, rowdy guests, internet snafus, or lack of knickers - that is my collective wish for you this weekend. And I'll be kind and not post a link so everyone will know your business - ROFL. Thanks for making my entire day both yesterday and today. Love you...

Have a good weekend, everyone! ~ OH! Before I forget! [I knew there was some place I was supposed to be this weekend! - sheesh!]

Authors Alexis Fleming and Bobbie Cole will participate in an all-daychat at Samhain Publishing on Saturday, May 6. Alexis and Bobbie's slot is from 4 to 5 p.m. Eastern time, and they'll talk about their books, Bobbie Cole's Mainstream/Women's Fiction "Leaving Mama" and Alexis Fleming's Fantasy Romance "Emerald Ice".

They'll answer questions, post excerpts from these and previous releases, discuss their works in progress and other contracted books. All those who post during this hour will be entered in the draw for a grand door prize. Other snap contests will be run during the hour. Lots of goodies to take home. Don't miss out on all the fun! To participate in the chat, you must be a member of the SamhainPublishing group. To join, send a blank e-mail to:

samhaincafe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

Hope to see you there!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Comments:

At 11:43 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Sorry babe! I was out all day for my chapter's conference!

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

WHY is there a little handicap sign by the word verification?

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

ROFL - first time I've seen it, but when I ran my mouse over it, a pop up said "listen and type the numbers you hear" - WTF? - Is my blog the only one this is on???

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Sam said...

You just reminded me why I don't watch the news much, lol.
Funny about the frogs - I've been looking for the Colbert transcript so thanks for that!
Weather sounds about like where we live, hot one day, cold the next. No air conditioning here either. The Europeans don't really need it - it never gets that hot here. I was just chatting with a kid who went to Africa and was telling us how blisteringly hot it was there - and no one seemed to notice, but as soon as it got to about 75 degrees they were all putting on sweaters. LOL

 
At 6:09 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Oh - and the handicapped sign is for the visually impaired - i have one too, so if you can't read teh letters you can hear them. Since I'm dyslexic sometimes I cheat and listen, lol.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Ahhhhhhh thanks Sam!

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

THANKS for the info, Sam!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks