Sunday, May 07, 2006

It's A Mystery To Me


Food & drink stories abound today. The food story was rather funny, probably because I wasn’t the one getting tossed out on my fortune cookie, but the one about the rum?! Ack!

This story about the pickled corpse is a made-for-celluloid or cozy-paperback murder mystery. I’m sending this to my friend Liz in hopes that she can do something with it some day. You wouldn’t think this author capable of writing cozies after you read the two books being marketed on this website, but she also has a flair for Jessica Fletcher type novels. Liz thinks in series, too, so once she does sell one, we’ll have a delicious assortment of them within months of one another.

The Chinese restaurant story spurred me to research Chinese mysteries, and if you’re a mystery writer, looks like there’s a need—no, a demand—for good mystery fiction involving that particular people. Their political arena of pre and post WWII has shown that not much mystery fiction seeped through prior and that there’s not a lot of it afterwards either. Take a look at this article.

For a broad listing of various types of mystery, take a look at G.J. Demko’s Landscapes of Crime. If you’re really ambitious and love mystery, Geraldine Galentree’s October 2005 newsletter (which is online) has some excellent reviews and even a listing of conferences and conventions as the Nancy Drew Convention – who knew?!

I have friends and acquaintances who belong to Sisters In Crime, a writers’ organization for mystery mavens that started small and now spans the globe. I’ve never belonged, but I’ve been thinking of joining. Such fellow Oklahomans as the brilliant, talented, and wonderful speaker Carolyn Hart are members. Lex and I recently joined Kiss of Death, but it was a freakin’ nightmare to get our membership information straight – I just hope the rest of the year goes more smoothly than the first six weeks.

Some things have a clear connection - others don't. Here's hoping we all have just enough mystery to make our lives exciting but not enough that it becomes deadly.


Happy sleuthing for you mystery writers – happy writing for all of us. Have a good week coming up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Comments:

At 11:24 PM, Blogger Merry said...

KOD did that to me, too.

Not only that, at the time I was a member they sold pins for the conferences. I sent not one, but two separate checks as they said they lost the first one. Both checks were cashed.

I never did get the pin, though.

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Sam said...

I have Breeding Evil and really liked it. I bet Liz Would make a good 'cozy' author!

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Mer, this has been a nightmare. Lex is the only one of us with Pay Pal, KOD's method of payment, and it's taken 6 weeks to straighten out 3 memberships (hers, mine, and Kel's). Okay, we finally get registered - she has paid $90 for 3 memberships and 3 pins, $30 for 3 Death by Chocolate soiree fees + $35 just for our editor Crissy to attend as Lex's guest, and THEN they ask for $90 more to renew our memberships since their fiscal year starts in June/July...even though this pro-rated stuff isn't posted on their website. They said we couldn't go to the party we'd paid for, wouldn't be able to attend any of the KOD functions at RWA in Atlanta, blah blah unless Lex came up with 2006 dues...again. Lex told them to shove their pins and that if they kept screwing us around they could shove all 3 memberships and we'd all 3 join another group that better suited our needs and requirements. - I got my 'welcome' email from them like 2 days ago.

Sam, that is good news - I gotta tell Liz that she's being read in France. *grin* THANKS for letting me know.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Liz Wolfe said...

Thanks Sam! I sent you and email.
Liz Wolfe

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Hi Liz - I iddn't get your e-mail :-(
What addy did you use?
Heres one:
jennifermacaire @ wanadoo. fr (no spaces)

 
At 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll have to check out "Sisters in Crime." I was a member of KOD - they were a nice group - but didn't quite fit me. Since I wrote more suspense than mystery, not sure SIC will be right either but I keep trying. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks