Monday, November 13, 2006

Parrot Heads & Other Pals

My friend Helen is a Parrot Head. Think Jimmy Buffett, Margaritaville, sixties hippies who like to have fun. This group meets monthly, has costume parties, and generally serves to remind members of all things Buffett. I had to post this photo when she sent it to me. She and Paisley won the Most Dynamic Duo award at the Halloween party.

I woke up this morning thinking "you have to write". Took a cup of coffee out to the garage and lit a cigarette to contemplate topics, characters, and whatever might help me procrastinate. Looked out the garage door windows and lo and behold there's Daisy with her rake and push broom.

Damnit, Daisy, you're gonna have a heart attack.

Always check your own pulse before you try rescuing someone else, though. No, she won't. She'll give YOU one watching her.

She was very methodical, leisurely, taking her time. She was bundled well. But when she whipped out the trash bags and started bagging leaves, I felt more than guilty. I felt compelled to do the unthinkable...put out the cigarette, leave the coffee to get cold, get dressed, and grab my own rake.

Once I'd crossed the street, I chastized her for making me look bad, because the oak and sycamore leaves in my own yard would cover a Toyota. I gave her a hug and pitched in. We discussed everything from the snow that's to hit day after tomorrow to Kansas pioneers, Sacramento as a marvelous place to live, what kinds of trees were shedding leaves so deep we couldn't find our morning newspapers in them, to art. I discovered that Daisy paints--very well, too. She took me inside and showed me two of her favorite works.

I asked her if she believed in nature's medicine. Merry had told me to shave off a nickle sized portion of ginger root, put in a mug of water, and nuke it in the microwave for tea. Sweeten with honey, drink, and be done with stomach ulcers after a bit. Daisy said, oh, yes! Then we chatted about various herbal remedies our grandmothers had tried on us, and Daisy told me what she felt worked best. Considering she's 79 yrs old, I figured she'd know better than I would, so I took mental notes.

Within an hour, my nose was dripping from the cold, Daisy's yard looked marvelous and mine looked like crap, and she had 8 bags of leaves to show at the curb for the first half of her yard we'd worked.

I still haven't written, but I've seen good art this morning...Nature's and Daisy's. I've shuffled through leaves; signed, addressed, & stamped a handful of birthday and Thanksgiving cards for friends and family; and I've watched my two rescue canines romping through a golden shower of yet more leaves that continue to fall. The guttering is clogged again, needless to say, but that's okay. The snow will slow 'em down.

Lyn Cash's latest romance sale to EC has gone through yet another title incarnation. It started out as "All Or Nothing", which is bland, to "Sex, Lies, & Duct Tape", which worked until publisher discovered that they have a Sex-Lies-&-Something title coming out. Back to square one. Any ideas for me??????

Thanks, Kris, for the Maxine birthday card!!! LAUGHED - Lord, I laughed. Love that woman. Thanks, Janet, for managing it so that your new great-granddaughter was born on my birthday last week. Welcome to the world, little Akasha Leigh. Thanks, CJ, thanks everyone who sent cards and good wishes, thanks Merry for dinner, cheesecake, a sleepover, and good conversation. I had a marvelous birthday.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

14 Comments:

At 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that ginger root, hot water and honey thing really work? Inquiring minds (and acidic stomachs) would like to know. As for procrastinating, man, you do it well. You had a very productive and healthy (working outside!)day.

 
At 7:20 PM, Blogger Merry said...

So - are you actually DRINKING the ginger tea? Hmmm?

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Merry said...

Beth, in response....

My mother and a dear friend both started the ginger tea...Becky has taken Previcid for years, Mom took Prilosec the last few years. After taking ginger tea for a week, both noticed a difference. Both stopped the meds after about 3 weeks and haven't taken them since. both their doctors said they've known about ginger tea andknew it worked for many people.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Good luck with the ginger - I love ginger anything!
And as for titles, "Sexy Duct Tape",
"Sex, Duct Tape, and Lies", "Lies and Sex and More Sex",
(What's the duct tape for?)
I'm TERRIBLE at titles, LOL!
Sorry.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

*waves to Beth & Merry*

LOL, Sam! Duct tape - well, it's a spy story, and at beginning, hero and heroine are tied up together, nude, about to be tortured. She doesn't remember she's an assassin for government, and he has to convince her to remember the events surrounding her trauma before they're both killed. I LIKE your titles!

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Merry, for your response. (And, thanks to Lyn for the posting about ginger tea.) I'm going to try it. Why don't doctors suggest such natural methods right off the bat?

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Regarding titles .... How about " Do Me Baby"? LOL!

Or ...

Duct and Cover?

Or ...

Duct and UNcover. :-)

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scandal in Home Depot

or perhaps just

Ecstasy at the Hardware Store oh dear, no.

oh now, hardware. Hardware...surely you could use that word somehow? I'm not very good at this I must say, I tend to use names and dates until a title appears. Hardware Encounters?

After reading this whole blog (As I've not been around since the wonderful cat litter cake - which I sent to everyone in my family with a dare to try) I'm not desperately craving cinnamon rolls with orange icing and fresh brewed coffee. I'm also feeling guilty for not raking up the eucalyptus leaves that fall in my Sweet'ole Lady neighbors yard. We should brunch, and soon.

I LOVE ginger brew like that, I make it lots, but just because I love ginger. It helped a lot with morning sickness and I just got hooked.

 
At 3:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Spy Who Bound me!

ok maybe, no.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Duct & Cover *SNORT*
...hardware? - ROFLMAO

THE SPY WHO BOUND ME - okay, NOW I'm wiping tears from my eyes and about to pee myself!

I gotta see if I can use one of those for the follow up book!!! The heroine has a twin sister. - hehehe

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

p.s. glad Merry's home brew has been a hit (Mer, I may have to use you again - am thinking of your chocolate recipes...including the spoons...and your bath bombs, etc).

Merry Stahel is like the Queen of do-it-yourself...no, the Empress.

Will think on a new blog post today and get something done about it. Also need to do a blog and send to Marilyn P for next Tuesday. FORGOT until just now - ack. Sorry, Marilyn. WILL GET THAT DONE TODAY AS WELL!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Merry said...

Actually, I'm the Queen of Cheap. I hate buying stuff when I know I can do it myself...

My next project - shelves in the Airstream. Pa is rolling his eyes...he had to show me how to use a drill. Come on, what is it? A few pieces of wood, some screws and a drill - how hard can it be?

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

LOL - uh, Mer, you gotta be better at it than any of us. Shelves in the Air Stream. You must take photos.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Michele said...

"The Spy who"...comment was truly inspired! Love it!

The Sex, Lays and Duck Tapes.
OK, so I don't quack anyone up.

I tried.

The Lies about Duct Sex?
Ouch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks