Monday, November 06, 2006

Turkeys


Ever have a time in your life when you managed to get to higher ground only to realize that you felt you'd left something behind that was important? I'm having one of those months. The WIPs aren't completed, but I don't have that sense of panic that I expected. A birthday is coming up (tomorrow), so maybe that's the reason I'm feeling so blasé.

Maxine is one of my favorite old cranks - I just love that cartoonist who draws her. Her name is
Marian Henley. I think some of her best cartoons deal with the current season.

They hold elections in November because it's the best time for picking out a turkey. 'Nuff said.

My birthday always falls on or near Election Day, and there's a Maxine-ism for that as well. I'm not saying 60 is old...but I'm thinking it. (No, I haven't quite hit that mark, but it's a-comin'...I HOPE. Some people never get that far.) I've felt like a princess this year. My son bought me a new winter coat and a pair of leather boots.

I've needed funnies this year. I've had a marvelous time, but so many rotten things have happened to people I love that it's just hard to keep the ole chin up at times. One of my 1st cousins was murdered a couple weeks ago...a woman in her late 30's with 2 teenage daughters. While a part of me was grateful as hell it hadn't been me, of course, my heart cries for our family's loss, especially for Jeanna's kids and her parents, who found her when she didn't pick up the phone and they decided to visit. Seems somebody wanted her computer and her television.

If it got dark any earlier we wouldn't have to get up at all. My across-the-street neighbor, Daisy is 79 years old, and her energy just astounds me. She mows her own yard, rakes it, takes her husband back and forth for his physical therapies (he's 85 and recovering from his last stroke). She's up at 5 am every day. I'm an early riser, but she puts me to shame. I have a story on her, though. The neighborhood had a procession of (how do I put this nicely without naming names?)...religious door-knockers...yeah, that's it...about a week ago, and even though the temperatures have been in the thirties and forties, Daisy makes me wonder if she and the hubby hadn't been fussing a bit. She let the guy with his Bibles inside then left and mowed the back yard until he was gone. Now, mind you, her husband is chair-bound and had to sit through all this, so I hope it was just my imagination and that the man who entered their home was a good friend, because if not...man, that's just friggin' mean. Daisy didn't come back inside until he was gone, which was a good forty minutes or so. I couldn't help myself--I sat on the front porch smoking and watched her mow, marveling at her energy and wanting to kick the crap out of her for putting me and my yard to shame.

Trust me. Tight fit jeans and loose fit skin are one bad combination. I just bought a pair of jeans...low-riders at that. Blame it on The Kids who decided it was time Mama showed off her curves. I saw the booty in the mirror and had to look around to make sure it was mine. Part of me thinks I'm nuts for not just grabbing a pair of knits with an elastic waist, but there's a vain, secret part of me that did a cartwheel when those jeans snapped and zipped without a problem.

Some Mondays I feel like a wet dog smells. I don't know how, but ole Marian Henley managed to both tickle me and make me go hmm with that one.

Cash Cole's 1st m/m book has a release date, by the way - December 27th. Bobbie Cole has her 1st booksigning, December 9th at 2 pm at one of the local Border's Bookstores. Lyn Cash sold a novella last week to Ellora's Cave called (for now) "All Or Nothing" that may be out this coming spring. Wish she could get confirmation that EC would have "Just Desserts" out in print before the Playgirl article hits in January, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm a happy cat, though - I'm doing what I enjoy doing.

Thank you Marian Henley, Charles Schultz, Erma Bombeck and others for making me go hmm now and then. It helps my mind digest the other trash that polutes the universe. Thank you, friends like Janet & Joann, who send me photos to post on the blog. THANK YOU, MERRY, for taking me to my 1st doctor's appointment since I've been here. Ack. I'd hate to think what would have happened without you when I moved up here.

Ever feel like you've had too much coffee? Me neither. I'm having cinnamon rolls with orange icing with my coffee this morning, and I'm watching squirrels forage for nuts through the mountain of oak leaves that seem to have rained upon the yard over the past weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

13 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You're back. I've missed my (almost) daily fix of checking what's new with you & having some laughs.

I love the visual of you watching your elderly neighbor mow her lawn while you enjoy a smoke on your porch.

Welcome back.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Thanks for the smile today. Missed you, too!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Missed you, sweetie. Good to see you back.

 
At 6:42 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Very busy post! That's a lot of ground you covered.

I can't believe your neighbor let them into her house! I would never, ever allow strangers in my home. I talk to them through my window. I don't open the door for anyone! Even cops and feds get the window treatment.
(**gg**, I'm a good girl, they've stopped by for neighbor issues)

OH, and I like your PC reference for the religious visitors. **gg**

That was an adorable picture of the cats on the toilet tank, LOL..bet they were looking at those foraging squirrels.

Thanks for visiting my blog too!!
Always glad to see you.

 
At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you! I faithfully check every day to see if you've written something new... glad to "see" you again! :)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

You're all so nice for popping in - Tanya, I'm still reading past posts on your blog - lol. Beth, what a nice surprise! And Michele, my friend Janet sends me all those photos of the animals (usually it's her). Don't think the woman has a pet, but she loves the photos and shares when she gets 'em.

Rinda, we should be having drinks somewhere today or at least between now and CJ's birthday on the 5th of December. *sigh*

Kris, I owe you like half a dozen emails - loved the photo of the munchkin at Halloween.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Sicko that I am, I think you need to use Daisy's tactic on her hubby in a book!

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Sam said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

 
At 5:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Sam said ;)

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger April said...

Happy late Birthday!

So happy to see a post from you!

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Lyn wrote: "Tanya, I'm still reading past posts on your blog"

Well, sweetie, I'm still looking at the cat poop picture on yours. And I don't know why! LOL!

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

aww, many thanks, Sam, Doug, & April. *g*

cracking UP, Tanya!!!!!!!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Happy birthday toots!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks