Saturday, August 26, 2006

With A Little Help From My Friends

I can't believe nobody got that photo riddle from last post - it's "Moon River". (Maybe that just dates me - Michele's guess of Fat Bottomed Girls was pretty damn funny.) I'll try to come up with something else once my brain unfreezes.

#1 Son got head-hunted for a job about 2 weeks ago.
(See photo of room to the left? Not mine but might as well be.) We got word yesterday that we move next week. Ack. Would like to have had more time, but then not really, because The Kid's new job is a dream come true for him. Every time someone sees me with a suitcase they offer to repack it for me (or just take over and do it anyway), so...you can imagine the chaos around here of packing up a house for the second time in six months. Of course, had no clue when we moved into this place that we'd be moving again for a while.

First thing I did when The Kids left today to go find us new housing was to strip, shower, and take a magnificent power nap. The house didn't get packed, but I sure felt more like bitching about it when I woke up than I did before I fell asleep. Then when I woke up, there were reruns of "Law & Order" that I'd somehow missed, dogs who needed snuggling, and graham crackers that beckoned to be eaten. In other words, I took a much-needed break. No one here but me at present, so I figured I'm a grown-up - I can sleep then go back to packing at midnight if I so choose.

I powered down The Kid's computers before the weather got stormy. Packed up most of the living room that was left, the dining room, and stuff on the piano. How is it we accumulate so much stuff, anyway? Maybe George Carlin had it right in his schtick about 'stuff' - that we pretty much just elevate ourselves to a higher level of poor (my terminology, not his, but same thing)...always collecting, having to move into bigger spaces just so we can house our 'stuff'. I've tried weeding through - just have so much I don't want to get rid of. Just moving out of this area reminds me of a dog I had for 15 years, one who traveled well, loved to go bye-bye, grab a burger with Mama or go to a park for walks.

I suppose new beginnings mean endings of sorts, though, and we adapt. Or we don't. I like feeling comfortable adapting, making whatever space I'm in my own. I enjoy nesting - weird, huh? I also enjoy just hanging my hat and calling the place home. I'm more attached to people than things - it's just that the things remind me of other people - lol, so vicious circle.

There's the candle from one friend that has dwindled down to about half-way...total waste of packing material and effort, but I want it. Leave the books? Fuggetaboutit. Not leaving but a few, and those go to charity. Hospitals, women's shelters, whatever strikes me. Furniture? Can always get more, unless it's furniture my dad made, or a family heirloom. It's nerve-wracking, though, to pack, discard, move. Set up is fine...because it's...well, nesting.

My poor dogs are shedding hair from stress - every time I pack one of their toys or a leash, they get this 'omigod' look in their eyes. Probably wondering if their stuff is going somewhere without them.

One thing I've learned during moves is that plastic bins & magic markers are my friends. So is my 64-oz mug I keep filled with ice water.

Today's photo funnies come to you from Janet in Topeka, who has given me instructions on how to hug a baby properly if I'm a dog.

1. First, spy a baby.





2. Second, be sure that the object you spied was indeed a baby by employing classic sniffing techniques. If you smell baby powder and the wonderful aroma of wet diapers this is indeed a baby.



3. Next you will need to flatten the baby before actually beginning the hugging process. **Note: The added slobber should help in future steps by making the "paw slide"



4. The "paw slide" - Simply slide paws around baby and prepare for possible close-up.



5. Finally, if a camera is present, you will need to execute the difficult and patented "hug, smile, and lean" so as to achieve the best photo quality.

(Blogger isn't letting me upload the last damn photo, so if it doesn't appear, you'll know why. I've sat on posting this for like 48 hours in hopes I could get the final shot in of the dog hugging the baby...it's cute. Don't understand why it is that Blogger will allow certain photos then not others - not like the baby is NUDE.)

Dogs, if this is properly done, it will secure you a warm, dry, climate-controlled environment for the rest of your life. Good luck to all of you!

I'm sure the owner of dog and parent to baby trusted that big canine, but part of me wanted to just slap the shit out of anyone who'd let a dog maul their child like that - lol. Still, cute photos, an obviously trustworthy pet, and a baby who is used to being loved with slobbery, wet kisses. Thanks, Janet.

I'll edit later if Blogger allows the other photos I'd wanted to post. Have a good rest of the week, everybody.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Blogger Merry said...

Moving, moving, moving, keep them doggies moving...

Hey, power nap when everyone is gone gives you extra energy to pack faster and longer the next time! Ask me how I know...LOL - 28 moves. My last move (I hope) will be in October, to the house we're building.

As far as dogs - mine had that deer-in-the-headlights look, too. They'd NEVER moved with us, being born and raised in Texas. Once at the new place though, after some adjustment, its home.

My MIL had a boxer when her kids (one of whom was my DH) were small. Cindy, the boxer, would grab the kids' clothes and tug them back in the unfenced yard and would growl at anyone who approached her kids - stranger or friend! until MIL would open the door to let them back in. DH and his sib were about 2 & 3.

Anyway, look forward to seeing you up my way...

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

lol on the 'Rawhide' theme...that be us...

Cute story! I love boxers. Favorite boyfriend from school daze - his family had boxers, with names like Tiny, Pee Wee, etc, and they were so huge and loveable.

Merry, I'm ready to be out of here. Constantly doing laundry, packing something. The poor kids - lol. They've phoned once on the road from here to Stillwater, twice from Stillwater, on the road between Wichita and Emporia, and I figure I'll get another call in about 90 mintues to 2 hours, depending upon when they reach KC.

Dogs and I slept in living room last night - I was so pooped, just watched some tv, took a 'lie down' as the Aussies would say, and before I knew it I was snoozing, so when I woke up, did more, I just crashed there again for a few hours.

Don't figure I'll even go to the garage what with the rain, at least not until maybe Tuesday morning. Enough in here to keep me busy, though. Am finding some interesting things I haven't seen in a few months. Trying not to let them distract me for long - lol.

Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to seeing you again!

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Jennifer Archer said...

Love the photos, Lyn! Good luck on the move.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Thanks, Jennifer!

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good luck with the move. Sounds like you'll be busy in the coming weeks. And congrats to your son.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger April said...

Good luck with the move. And the poor puppy dog's stress.

Cute pics! Is that a mastiff with that baby? Lord have mercy...

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Good luck on the move - sorry to hear puppies are stressed!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Good luck with the move. Hope the puppies adjust.

I love the pictures.

Mechele aka Lany of Melany Logen

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

I know those pics! I love them. They make me smile :)

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Cute pics, Lyn! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks