Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Confessions

The class I've been teaching has been a lot of fun. Heart of Dixie RWA chapter is lucky to have Marilyn, who set this up and moderates the Yahoo group. I think I've learned as much from them as they have from me.

Writing has been put on hold during the past two weeks. It's not such a bad idea to take a breather now and then, to recharge the emotional batteries and let the muse run wild in another direction. Somehow I picture my muse as this Celtic hag with wild hair blowing in the wind and a frothy gown that whips about her body as she stands on a cliff high above the sea. Blame it on The French Lieutenant's Woman that I read as a child or the homemade pizza we had for supper.

A close friend has passed away - these things happen. Another loved one is in limbo between doctor's visits, wondering what type of surgery she's looking at for an eye problem - could be nothing but a bad eye, might be a tumor (hopefully benign) on the eyeyball...or the brain. Whatever it is, I know she's more than a little concerned and that there's not a helluva lot I can do for her other than hold her hand and tell her it'll be alright.

I walked without the assistance of my cane this week. I walked at least a couple of miles total, returned some videos, shopped for groceries, all sorts of things, and it felt good. I felt like someone had beat me with the ugly stick when I got home, but I felt like I'd accomplished something important. Sure, I'd kept from falling on the ice and snow, and I'd brought the heart rate up, but it was more than that. I have memory problems, you see - a brain injury from early 2001. Any time I can go somewhere alone and make it back home without incident is cause for celebration. This time...was just different. I felt connected, despite all the emotional crap, the worry because the truck died, the fretting over friends' health, and all the minutia of the week.

It just struck me - one of the reasons I felt happy today. I heard the geese overhead this morning when I let the dogs out to do their business. It's almost spring, and the geese are coming home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Sorry to hear about your friend. yes, those things happen, as you said, but it's always sad.
(((((HUGS))))))

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Beth said...

There's a lot of holding of hands as we get older. It's hard.
Re: your brain injury. One of my sons suffered a severe concussion. Your walk alone is a significant milestone - definitely cause for celebration.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks