Sunday, October 21, 2007

Catshit Crazy



Okay, so I've already admitted to you that I'm a closet case Sweet Potato Queen and that I'm nuts about Jill Conner Browne. Well, I tried a recipe this past week in the book I love to quote: The Sweet Potato Queens' Big Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner).
My first mistake was to double the second ingredient in the saucepan - cocoa powder, so I had to double everything else. Before I knew it, there was catshit all over the damn counters, running from stove to sink, across the kitchen in front of the coffee pot, on top of the bistro table - it was just nuts.
Describing the experience as insane would be going too far, crazy isn't really going far enough. They're deeeelicious, though. Here's the recipe. Just don't double the cocoa if you know what's good for you.
For starters...the title. Tis what they look like...catshit (and they spell it as one word). You have probably seen this same recipe (or a derivative) as No-Bake Cookies of some sort.
Now for the recipe, most of it in Jill's wording:
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
Toss it all in a pan, cook it until it bubbles a little bit around the sides. Then take it off the heat and dump in 3 cups Quick Oatmeal, 1/2 cup peanuit butter, and 1 running-over teaspoon vanilla. Stir it up and drop globs of it onto waxed paper and let it cool. (Cooling, of course, is optional.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 8:52 AM, Blogger Merry said...

When I was in grammar school some 40 years ago, the cafeteria workers called them "fudge drops." Our student body called them "cat poop" cookies. The name's been around for a while LOL. My kids adore them.

BTW, adding a little more oatmeal makes them firmer and doesn't really change the taste. If you put them in paper cupcake holders they are more portable and less messy to eat.

Hmmm...I can mix no-bake cat poop cookies up, even in the camper...

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Oh, please - don't make any - come filch some of mine. They're free. I have a freezer full of them now!

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been there......done that! Lucky for me Ben took over that recipe.
Ok BYE

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

SYLVIA!!!!!! *sniff, sniff* I miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks