Monday, December 03, 2007

It's Funny How Writers' Minds Segue

It’s been a good day. Thought I’d share some news. A friend of mine is a writer in Oklahoma, and one of her many grandchildren is Cowboy Kenny Bartram, a BIG TIME motorcyclist. His website has some errors, for some reason, so if you can’t read much about him on his home site, try this link.

On CMT, there’s a new music video called IT'S GOOD TO BE US sung by Bucky Covington. It starts off with m/cycle racers lined up and while he's singing there is racing and some shots of Kenny doing freestyle stunts and at the end Kenny In his cowboy hat is clearly seen in the crowd. Also, Kenny is in Chris Cagle’s latest video called “Chicks Dig It”. When you click on the link, watch for the sky-high jumper on the bike, and that’s ole Kenny. I’ve known that boy since he was about 9 years old. *shaking my head here – ack – makes me feel old*

Kenny comes by his love of cycles naturally. One of his mom’s brothers is Guy Cooper, twice named the World Motorcross Chamption. Guy is out of the racing circuit and is a businessman now, but he sure was a lot of fun to watch ‘back in the day’. Now Kenny is the family’s celebrity biker. Not that he’s the only one – lol. I remember when Kenny’s grandparents had a horrid auto accident and were nearly killed. They were in intensive care for months and hospitalized from like February through May of that year. Once they were home, his grandpa couldn’t wait—casts and ALL—to get back on a cycle. And there that old man was, in his eighties, barely able to hobble out to the bike, wrapping his legs around that hunk of metal and firing it up. It was awesome to watch. But then the whole family is inspiring to me.

His grandmother was one of my first critique partners, back when I couldn’t construct two sentences that made sense to anyone but me. After that same wreck, in which she and her husband had both broken every bone in their bodies, she’d sit trying to get back into her writing, and the longest she could sit was maybe two minutes, then three, then five, then twenty… When she hit twenty minutes, we threw a party for her.

I remember when Mary Ellen started writing true crime. Her first nonfiction book was based on a double murder that took place not far from us. I looked up the girl who committed the murders, and she’s up for parole in 2009. Doesn’t seem possible.

This from Cindi Myers’s newsletter: Beginning in 2008 Harlequin Presents will release 12 titles per month (up from the current release schedule of 8 books a month.) They are actively looking for new Presents authors. They're currently holding an Instant Seduction contest to help them find new authors. For all the details, visit http://www.iheartpresents.com/.
Anyway, just thought I'd share those thoughts today. Back to writing now for me - just made another sale to the TRUES - will talk about it later. Got asked for a mainstream mystery...okay a chick lit mystery...by another company. Am working on a new smut novella for EC. And it's 1 minute before midnight - lol. I need sleep.
Cheers, ya'll. Talk to you later.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Lynn, that picture makes me not want to drink eggnog anymore. ;-)

Just listened to the video. Didn't like him muck on AI, but Bucky sounds great! Loved that song. It seems all the AI alumni are doing well. Chris. Elliott. Paris. Kelly. Hell, even William Hung! LOL! But where the heck is Taylor????

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

wussie :P

hehehe - agree, though

I haven't seen ANYTHING with Taylor lately, but everyone else seems to get around. I like ole Bucky - lol. Cracks me up to see Kenny in their videos.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Melany said...

That's so neat on your friend!

LOL and that picture cracks me up.

Mechele aka Lany of Melany Logen

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Sounds like a great family to know!!
Love the egg nog cartoon. I don't actually Like egg nog, so this just makes me more determined not to have a glass, lol!

 
At 10:06 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

ha - and I LOVE eggnog - but then I'm a country girl and used to looking at animal butts and fluids - sound gross, though - sorry...

and thanks on the comments on Mary Ellen - she is so dear to me - she's now in her late 70's and still going strong, writes all the time...a great inspiration to me...

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Kate said...

you kidding? Makes me want to go out and buy some eggnog RIGHT NOW. That cow looks like she's having a fine time.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Kate, you are so twisted. Have I mentioned that I really like that about you???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks