Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Friendly Shout Out & Fried Rattlesnake

I had one of the BEST days ever. #1 Son, his girlfriend, & I went shopping. Mind you, I love shopping...for other people. These two, however, talked me into trying on clothes. Walked out (thanks to son's generosity) with a new pair of shoes, a long crinkled shirt, and a silky top.

I spent a few moments outside the mall sipping a mocha frappaccino from Starbucks, sitting, and people-watching, and a woman sitting across from me struck up a conversation. We talked about one thing, then another, then writing. Come to find out, she worked at the mall's bookstore and suggested I visit in a couple of months when my 1st book hits the bookstores. Offered to bring all their books of mine out and have me sign them and place autographed by author stickers on them, etc. So...Sharon, if you're reading this, THANK YOU, and you will see me in August or September with pen in hand.

Guess this book (it's Leaving Mama) will be out in book stores about a month after nationals. Thanks to Lex, I have some bookmarks and book thongs to place in the Goody Room for the other writers to have.

Two years ago when I was in Dallas for the RWA conference, one of the writers had postcards with recipes in the Goody Room - one recipe was for cooking rattlesnake. Janet sent me this photo today. Thought I'd post a recipe (not the other author's - lol) you might enjoy.

This snake was recently found at the old Turkey Creek Gas Plant located just south of the Alibates Turnoff on Highway 136 south of Fritch Texas (just north of Amarillo). 9 feet, 1 inch - 97 lbs.

DEEP-FRIED RATTLESNAKE

1 medium-sized rattlesnake (3-4 lbs.), cut into steaks
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup cracker crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
1 teaspoon salt
dash pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Whisk milk into beaten egg and use to dip snake steaks. Then coat them with dry ingredients. Fry, uncovered, in 400 degree oil until brown.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

YIKES! *Shudder* That snake is soooooo creepy!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

I wouldn't eat that if you paid me. YUK

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

ew

 
At 1:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a handsome snake. I trust that kind looking man did the right thing, catch-and-release, so that rattler could rustle away and scare the bejeebus out of someone else?

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger Melany said...

I'm shuddering.

Lany

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks