Saturday, June 03, 2006

Button Up


Seems everywhere I go on the internet this week, people are fighting about one thing or the other. Must be something in the stars. You know - blame it on Mercury in retrograde, Pluto being too far 'out there', or Venus with her panties in a wad. What I'm not getting is the WHY. Why in hell would anyone let someone they don't even know ruin their day?

I love this woman - and she has her head on straight. I'm not sure about all of her posters, though:Colorful Reviews. You'd have to go back into the week's archives at various places to understand how it all got started. Then there's another blog post linking to a conversation that was being held on the first one I mentioned. And so on...

Then on a social group (writers, who else?) that I go to occasionally, women are fighting because of something an anonymous poster said. The woman apparently didn't feel safe posting her thoughts without recrimination, and the flurry of posts afterwards have been more about her cloaking her identity (think that's how she put it) than the subject matter she brought up. WTF? Whatever happened to mind over matter in these situations? If you don't mind, it really doesn't matter! You can even reverse that and get the same meaning--if if someone else minds enough to say something and you don't agree, what the hell does it matter? Are we that insecure that we have to browbeat someone with our own viewpoint?

I know what I'd do with a book from someone like that...the same thing I did with sequels to movies that should have stood alone. File 13.

This is why I enjoy going to blogs like these:

Merry Stahel - who always has great photos, a bit of homespun flavor in her posts, and something cheerful. She doesn't get a lot of posts there, but I'm sure there are others like me who at least pop in to absorb the ambiance. Same for Samantha Winston, where I can always count on beautiful photography, recipes, information about a country I'd love to visit. Douglas Hoffman supplies me with intelligent conversation, fabulous recipes, and his quirky perspective on politics (MOST of which I agree with wholeheartedly, but even if I didn't, nobody gets their nose out of joint in there). Ditto for This! Christine - you could never mistake her for anyone else. Have you seen the photos of the ice in the river she has on her blog lately???

Then there's Maddie at Skylight Astrology - what I wouldn't give to have that woman's inner peace and ability to channel the positive while sliding through the negative air as if it doesn't even exist.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE visiting the Smart Bitches and their ilk, Romancing The Blog, where conversations sometimes dig into deep-rooted problems in our genre and lives as writers, and I've found some interesting info on publishing visiting Ciar Cullen, Lauren Dane, and Melany Logen, all who seem content to discuss writing as opposed to bitchery within the ranks.

I can bitch with the best of them. I just choose not to do it today. I've come too damn far in my own personal growth to get caught up in that crap. Tomorrow, maybe I'll feel differently, but I don't plan on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

10 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, Blogger X. Dell said...

Here, we have the saying, "Great minds think alike."

In India, howeever, there's the saying, "Fools seldom differ."

Curious that you posted this today, but then again who knows what coincidences can occur when Venus gets its panties in a wad--which must be a very rare occurrence, because of the high atmospheric pressure and all.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Anne said...

I only felt compelled to blog about the whole "fangirl" thing because honestly, there isn't a thing an author can do to stop it. Dakota Cassidy summed it up perfectly in the comments of this post.. http://jaynier.blogspot.com/2006/06/victims-of-rabid-fan-girls.html

I won't browbeat anyone for posting their opinion anonymously because if we all agreed on everything, the world would be a boring place. : )

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Interesting, X-Dell!

Oh, Anne, I'm not upset with you at all - the fan girl stuff doesn't bother me. I just don't understand it! - lol. If I'm upset with anyone, it's the ding dongs in the social group I'm in.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Jordan Summers said...

So much drama for so little return. *ggg* I suppose I should be jealous that I don't have a rabid fan base. (wg)

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Merry said...

Awww..thanks for the mention! I intentionally made my blog boring because there's so many places for snark and boil that a respite is needed.

And the construction blog is solely for my DH, who has very little entertainment in Saudi and looks forward to my record of our progress.

Besides, Flint and Echo are cute!

 
At 4:53 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

ROFLMAO, Jordan! And Merry...your blog is NOT boring!!! I love that blog!

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Hi Lyn and SMOOCHES for mentioning my blog, lol.
DID you get my e-mail??? Let me know - I keep asking you - if you didn't get it, write to me at jennifermacaire @ wanadoo. fr (no spaces) so I can write you back. I wanted to interview you!!!

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

Sunny I'm so glad you got the shirt!!!!!

I have to totally agree--one of my favorite sayings is from my friend Hollie "Save the drama for your mama" LOL I love a great discussion that makes me think but chronic shit disturbing gets old.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Sam, if you're reading this, I just replied - thanks for asking!


omg - another Cece-ism I gotta use - ROFL.

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Melany said...

Well, I'm just beaming cause we got a mention *G*.

LOL love "save the drama for your mama."

Lany

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks