Tuesday, May 16, 2006

The real blog ho, EC guidelines, & a grin or two


Firstly, thanks to those of you who see fit to offer a few minutes of your day to say hi to me, to comment on writing, to share of your time and talent...to connect.

Secondly, I want you to know I've thought about this before just shooting off my mouth. Really thought about it. I have few gripes - life's just too short to give credence to some things. But my ass is itching over this one - an itch I've gotta scratch.

Maybe I don't understand all of the politically correct ins and outs of publishing in general or fellow writers in particular, but I do know how I feel about blatantly promoting myself on someone else's blog as a party crasher, not as a guest who wasn't invited to bring their baggage. It just ain't right, and I don't do it. If I do - puhleeze for the love of all that's holy, tell me.

People who rack up 'points' of some kind for having the most posts on their blog or who feel compelled to solicit traffic by posting their neediness on someone else's blog...well, it really chaps my ass - doesn't just make it itch. In other words, if someone comes to my 'house', say HELLO, goddamnit. Don't just walk in, use the bathroom, dump your bookmarks, and leave.

Posting on another writer's blog something to the effect of: Hey, I've just told a joke about you - come over and see, and let me know what you think of me while you're there...why not just be honest and say "I have no desire to talk to you or anyone else right now, but I'd really like for you to post on my blog so it'll look like I'm popular - even though 2/3 of the posts over there are my responses to other people."

Is it just me, or does this frost anyone else as it's obviously frosting me? Doesn't quality still rate higher than quantity in things other than M&Ms and marbles? Obviously not - never mind me.


Understand that it doesn't bother me that they're needy. Doesn't even bother me that they're pretending they give a shit about me if they visit me here. What bugs me is that it wastes my time. And now I'm wasting yours, most likely, if you really thought you'd get a warm fuzzy, a joke, cartoon, or writing information. Well, maybe you will.

The warm fuzzy is that if you're here and you and I regularly say hello to one another, read each other's drivel, and actually enjoy the company we're keeping...that's a warm fuzzy. The joke is on the dumbass who thinks they're doing anything when they visit me to say 'look at me', because I'm jaded, cranky, and skeptical to begin with - I don't look long if there's nothing to look at.

The cartoon - okay, I'll cough one up for you before you leave. As to the writing information, here's a writing tip: Spend your time cultivating friends, learning something, or offering worthwhile information to others. They'll thank you for it and might even buy your books. If nothing else, they'll respect you, speak of you fondly, and not feel bad when the door hits you in the ass on your way out.

And if you wonder to whom I'm referring, it's nobody who visits regularly - lol. The target of my rant won't even know it because she only visits when she has a new book out anyway, and we've got a few weeks or months before that happens.

I enjoy recipes - jokes - comments on reading, music, art, current events. I hope to God I'm not shallow enough to think the world only revolves around me. I like reading the blogs of others who post here - I don't go over there to say "please buy my book" or "please...I'm needing some attention today". I actually LIKE the folks at whose blogs I post a hello.

If you've read me for long, you know that I enjoy posting information about friends and their books - I post their book covers. Hell, I even post covers sometimes of people I don't care about but whose writing thrills me. Not often, but it's been done - lol.

So...next time you see a fly-by in here, 10 to 1 if you visit them, their blog is filled with nonsense about themselves. They'll make up stories, jokes, tell tales of how funny others they think they are or how deep and mysterious. So take along the boots, because the bullshit gets kinda deep at times.

I can't promise you that you'll be wild about what you read here, but it'll bigod be honest.

Rant over. Now for a real writing tip, straight from the publisher (Ellora's Cave) who said it's okay to post information to our fellow readers/writers:

We've got so many exciting things going on, people may have lost track. So here's a summary of the special series and themes and new lines for this year and next. Please note that all these are open to not-yet-EC authors, so feel free to spread the word to your author friends and to writing groups you belong to.

Fun in the Sun Quickie series – Releasing in June 2006, so if you are participating in this, you should have the story turned inalready, right?

Autumn Animalia Quickie series – Releasing September 2006. Theme is shapeshifters or a strong animal character in the story. Stories must be to your editor for review/acceptance by end of June at the latest, all editing done and final ms turned in by early August.

Wild Winter Quickie series. Releases December 2006. Theme is winter holidays. Stories to your editor by end of September, editing complete by early November.

New erotica line at EC (name tbd): We hope to launch in late 2006, and are accepting submissions now. This will be a line of erotica, not erotic romance. Basically the same sexuality level as E-rated EC stories, the same taboos. But it doesn't have to be a "romance" –doesn't need commitment or an HEA – although it certainly can have romantic elements. The focus is on the sexual relationship instead of the romantic one. Stories can be 10K to 100K.

New Traditional Regency line at Cerridwen (name tbd): Standard sweetTraditional Regencies. Story length 50-75K. Historical accuracy is very important. Only new stories, not reprints. Taking submissions now. Particularly interested in authors previously published in this genre. Planning to launch in late 2006. NOTE: We already accept Regency-set Historicals at Cerridwen, and erotic Regencies at EC.

2007 Tarot theme stories: Stories can be any EC length or genre.Must specify a Tarot card that is the "theme" of the story. For existing EC authors, submit to your editor a detailed full-story synopsis and 8-10K words. Outside submissions must be full manuscript.

2007 Ellora's Cavemen anthology series: Submissions close Sept. 30; selections will be made by Dec. 31. Any genre, 10-12K, preferably Erated, send to
Martha@....

Thanks,
Raelene Gorlinsky,
PublisherEllora's Cave Publishing Inc.


As an EC author, I can tell you that I've had nothing but great feedback from my editor(s), marvelous relationships with the staff I've dealt with, a good time with fellow authors, and I've learned A LOT. The money ain't bad either. If that makes any difference.

One final THANK YOU with chocolate and roses to my friend
Dee for making my flash badge, as it's called, for Leaving Mama, top of the page.

Here's your cartoon - caption reads: The happiest people in the world are not those who have no problems, but those who learn to live with things that are less than perfect.




Thanks for letting me scratch my ass over an imperfect world. I'm happy now.



Now for something I stole from Kris...

You Are a Blueberry Margarita

Honestly, there's no one quite like you. And believe it or not, most people think that's a bad thing! ~ You're open, wild, friendly, wacky, and tons of fun. You have a big personality... and a big heart.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WELL.......now, tell us how you really feel! Missing you and looking forward to the book coming out. Hoping it's all you envision it to be and I already know it's wonderful. I feel "out of place" posting here but I do enjoy your blog so much. Big hugs and hope to talk to you soon.

 
At 10:37 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Just did what I hope are final edits on the 'Sylvia' inspired book today. The book debuts on the 30th - color me happy. *grin*

I'm delighted to see you here, in email, in IM, in PERSON, any time and any where. Take care - love to the kidlet and you.

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

My freakin' apologies in advance to Ann or Rinda, who might come in here yowling at me for changing the blog so many times - but I was practicing, and each time I thought I had it nailed, something screwed up, and I STILL didn't get the link to the margarita test to show up, so you'll all have to visit Kris's blog to get it, and now I'm done with this run-on sentence. So there. :P

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Why would I yowl at you? I only came to plug my stuff. What that stuff is... who knows.

(wg)

Fancy duds you got here. Like it.

 
At 4:01 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Ciar, you already know I love you and your books - have even asked you and a friend to speak to my crit group but never got it off the ground - life, health issues, and such. *wink* You are a gem, and I'd be DELIGHTED to post something of yours in here some day.

We may be talking about the same woman - ROFL. And I don't think it's jealousy - it's just irritating for someone with a steak dinner to look at our plate of burger and fries and basically tell the posters on OUR board, in OUR house..."hey, come over and see me...forget about the person whose home I'm in"...

And maybe I'm wrong. I was wrong once in 1972.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Sam said...

You changed your blog!
I didn't recognise it and thought I got the wrong address lol!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger X. Dell said...

I'll be sure not to do anything that inflames, burns, scrapes, bruises or abraises your ass. I have no novel to plug, and I'm usually a gentleman.

You lampooned a certain type of blogger, writing, "I have no desire to talk to you or anyone else right now, but I'd really like for you to post on my blog so it'll look like I'm popular - even though 2/3 of the posts over there are my responses to other people."

2/3. That's a 23, right?

(Uh-oh. Lemme get the salve/)

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

I believe the word you're looking for is Promo Ho? You made me laugh regardless, but then, you always do! Sorry for being so MIA =(

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Promo Ho works just fine in this instance. *WINK* Thanks for making me laugh, Cece.

Cathie, great to meet you! And X-Dell and Sam, always a pleasure!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Michele said...

Um.... you made some valid and important points. And by no means are you making a big deal out of nothing. Its a real problem. Am I guilty of doing it? *cough*, I think I must have. But usually I've blogged/commented on taht persons' blog on at least a semi-regular basis so my "hey, look at this" has some relevancy. Well, I HOPE so anyway.
Either that, or I'm self-delusional. *gg*

Anyway, it's been a gaggle of time since I posted here anyway. I saved you to my favorites, but I accidently 'named" you differently - I lost you!
Now that I've rediscovered your blog, I hope to be at Least a proper lurker, if not an irratic commenter.
So, don't come see my blog until, if ever, I earn your interest.
Ha! I'm a reader, not a writer.
What would I say anyway?
Oh, thats right. Love your writing. *grin*

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

Michele, you goober - of course it's not you - ROFL. Great to see you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks