Saturday, May 20, 2006

Spring Cleaning


What with harsh things on the news, political intrigue, and summer heat already getting to many people, I’ve noticed a definite shift this last week in attitudes among writers. Many are ready to shuck the winter woes and clothes, do some spring cleaning, and air their opinions on everything from whether or not writing is art to what must be done about our own concepts of ourselves. I prefer to think of it all as 'updating'.

Julie Leto was guest on Romancing the Blog a day or so ago, and her post about Promo Whores was quite interesting. Seems many are sick to death of writers who are constantly in someone’s face begging for attention and money. [See Sunny Lyn’s own bitch session on the subject here if you just want to waste time.] You could do much worse than to read Julie’s blog some time if you’d like honest opinions and answers to questions on writing romance.

One of the things I love best about writing is that there’s so much to learn, and I’ve found that I rarely learn when all I hear is the sound of my own voice. Doesn’t exactly win me many friends, either.

I also enjoy the silliness at times. Cece had trouble coming up with a title for her latest submission, and as writers are prone to do, several chimed in with their own rendition, and before anyone knew what had happened, the titles were flying. Vanessa Jaye’s blog for last Thursday is funny, rife with the goofy type of metaphor meltdown writers need at times. Cece did eventually get a title, by the way, and not one of those proposed on this site. *grin*

Want to point you towards a fine writer of romantic suspense while I’m thinking of good books. Tracy is funny, witty, charismatic, and I read much of her first book, Repo Chick Blues, as it was being conceived. The heroine was someone I could hang with from the first, but when she kidnapped Buddy…the dog? I was hooked.

It's nice to see writers I've known do well. I can't help but feel great when someone with whom I've shared a laugh, a cry, research information, and cyber hugs sells that first book...and then another...

Trace is the writer who turned me onto the works of Dennis Lehane, for which I'll always be greatful. I'd lost touch with her for a few months--my fault--life got in the way. But I recently 'found' her, not that she was lost, and I thought I'd let you know about Repo Chick Blues.

I enjoy rifling through memory banks this time of year as well. I like spring cleaning, everything fresh and new, but it's comforting to keep pieces of the past, like some favorite patchwork quilt I use for comforting me one night and displaying as a work of art the next. It's nice to reminisce about old friends, such as Cheryl Anne Porter, who have passed but whose lessons will remain forever. I still can't believe I won't see her when I attend an RWA function.

Regardless of what I keep as I update myself, the writing, memory banks, or the ever-present To Do lists, I rather like bringing in the new yet tucking away what and who has worked for me in the past. It's nice to be able to say that I truly enjoy those who are in my life. When I don't? Well, there's always this...(thank you Carla for the funnies today):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Sam said...

I think I have that ksy on my keyboard - and whenever I hit it, either my computer freezes, my last paragrapgh gets deleted, or I somehow turn my keyboard from European to American lettering and suddenly the 'a' key is a 'q', and I can't find my 'm' or my comma key anymore. (adn I have to turn the damn computer on and restart it.)
*sigh*

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Aaaaaw, thanks, Sunny!! *SMOOOOOOCH*

I loved what I read of your book as well. Did you end up selling that one? I'm sure you did.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Bobbie (Sunny) Cole said...

LOL, Sam (laughing with empathy and sympathy).

Trace, bless you - nooo. That is the one book that hasn't sold. It's in NY, though. Son wanted me to make the rounds with that one. Glad you liked it.

I must've bragged about Repo Chick Blues to everybody I know for two years. Was delighted to 'find' you (you had no idea you were lost, I'll bet) at your blog spot.

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Amie Stuart said...

You need to stop by Sasha's! You won something missy!

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

You did? You're awesome, Sunny! I can't wait to buy that book when it does finally come out, because I know it will sell. I *know* it.

If you ever have time and you want to finish Repo Chick, lemmie know and I'll send you a pdf file.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Tracy Sharp - Author of the Leah Ryan Series said...

Just ho'd Leaving Mama, too hehehehe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks