Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Mutlidimensional Memory Collage

Yeah, I know…I can’t believe I’m doing another blog post so quickly after the last one either. But I had such wonderful experiences yesterday that I have to boast.

My ‘ride’ got lost, so there were a few moments of the ditz giving directions to the driver of the van and her irrepressible sidekick. Ann asked if I’d dressed up for them. Hell, no. She wanted to see me in my low-riders, and I said
Look, I’m wearing underwear and makeup—that’s all you get today. You’ll have to settle for the leggings and pullover.

For starters, once we all found one another, I had my first taste of
Phad Thai and sweet & sour soup. I’d never had Thai food, period, and the meal was a tasty treat in an all but deserted restaurant (we’d arrived later than we’d planned, so no crowd).

Later, I met Doug, Doug, dog, dog, Buffy, Big Sis, and Jeff. I was acquainted with Ann and Jane but not the other two women. Then I met Melissa, Jackie, Marjorie, Carolyn, Cry Baby, Pretzel Girl, and two mimics who perfectly channeled Julia Child. (I’ll never grate cheese again without hearing "Julia" and cracking up.)

We had pianists, percussionists, writers, gourmet cooks, and at least three people who’d worked in an ice cream parlor, even a couple of pilots and a physician who made appearances. Lots of hellers and healers.

It was obvious from the start that Jane was an excellent cook. Her family members are all fit and fabulous, and the way the kitchen is set up makes wannabe gourmets like myself drool. It’s not the cabinetry and the center island, not the kewl spices and pantry. Not even the antique stove waiting for a place to shine. It’s the way she handles food that makes me sigh, sit back, and savor. It was like watching one of Sam’s photos spring to life like some live, interactive video. Sam’s photos always send me to another planet – that’s the way Jane’s cooking enchants me. Watching her is a treat.

Of course, learning experiences bring longings to try new things. Mental notes: now, must get
San Marcos green chilies, cranberry beans, a pressure cooker (I’ve never had one), a Rub Away (just so I can howl thinking of Ann, Jane, and the stainless steel sink story), and more cookbooks…I spied several that I’d love to read.

Listening to the conversations, being drawn into the lives of these people, including those of their children, was an absolute blast. I’m very grateful to all of them for including me in their day’s activities. The only thing I forgot was to say Mike loves you – for which I caught hell after I got home.

On the way back to The Kids, I was privileged to see views of a charming Farmer’s Market, fabric store, massive county library, a dojo, and an intriguing looking furniture store. I learned that I was within walking distance of these places.

With the exception of the cat, I met the whole fam-damily. The cat could probably sense that I was untrustworthy, but the dogs seemed to like me.

If I don’t blog again until afterwards, Happy Thanksgiving, my friends. Spend time with your loved ones, wrestle some teenagers, go clothes shopping, grate some cheese, cook a pot of chili beans or go eat Thai food. ENJOY YOUR LIFE.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there, my dear!

Just wanted to pop by and wish you a Happy Turkey Day! I hope you have a happy, safe, filling holiday with the "kids". :)

If you're indulging today, have an extra slice of everything for me, wouldya?

Love,
K.

 
At 5:10 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hee hee! Everyone in the fam-damily read this blog and enjoyed it greatly. I'm home (11/26) and brain dead at the moment even though I got 15 hours of sleep last night. It was a wonderful holiday made sublime by the presence of such a great friend. Lubs ya, SunsBuns!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Mechele Armstrong said...

Hope it was a great Turkey day.

Mechele aka Lany of Melany Logen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks