Thursday, January 03, 2008

Cadillac Body & A Volkswagon Engine

Just heard that phrase on Montel Williams' show. I haven't seen a morning show in AGES, and I just happened to turn on the television this morning while I was writing. Seems Montel has a new book out today (or whenever this show was taped). And he says he was getting ready to speak to some school children when a teacher watched him fill his plate in the lunch line, and she called him on all the meat (and lack of vegetables) he was grazing on. "You're going to talk to MY KIDS with a Cadillac body and a Volkswagon engine?" He said it made him do some thinking.

The New Year is always a time when people contemplate their resolutions...those made and not kept, usually. I remembered something yesterday that I hadn't thought of in ages. Back when I was a wee lassie, I made goals. I've always had them - lists of them. Sometimes I even checked things off one at a time and reevaluated at the end of the year. One thing I did that I'd forgotten about was this. I didn't start all of my 'programs' on the 1st of the year. I spread them out, giving myself time to do one thing really well before moving on to the next.


It's like cleaning house. Sometimes, it's best to tackle that one crappy area before moving on to something more appealing, less stressful. Sometimes it's best to just dig in and do the job and bitch about it later.


So that's one of my goals this year...sort of. A Cadillac MIND with a bulldozer engine - lol. I'm a-gonna be careful of what goes into it. The body? That's a given. But I've let myself go as far as what went into my mind. And this behavior always turns into the GIGO thang with me - 'garbage in, garbage out', and before I know it, all those great resolutions and positive affirmations are out the window, because I've allowed negative thinking to influence me.


Some of the results I've had from negative thinking:


1. A stressful situation combined with a 'what the hell' attitude caused me to pick up a cigarette after I'd been nicotine free longer than I'd been in YEARS. And that's all it took - one cigarette, and I was feeling like absolute shit, not because of the cigarette so much as the fact that I'd let myself down.


2. A friend pissed me off, and before I thought about what it would do to her, I "let her have it". Didn't make ME feel any better, and it sure didn't make her feel better, despite my holier than thou justifications.


3. I gave into stress and wound up careless and physically hurting myself.


That's enough. On to happier things. Just sayin'...it's easy to get lazy, not only with the body but with the mind.


What have I learned during this show? Montel says...things I've heard for years, even paid attention to at times...


Montel's Living Well Codes


#1 - base your diet on fruits and vegetables

#2 - minimize unhealthy processed foods, sugar, salt, high cholestreol foods

#3 - include a healthy diet of carbohydrates with the good stuff

#4 - be mindful of calories

#5 - don't skip meals and deprive yourself

#6 - get regular physical activity into your life

#7 - use all steps to reduce risk of disease and obesity


Doh. And he got paid for this. - lol - GOOD FOR HIM. I'm not gonna be jealous of a man who is living with MS. Jeez.


I'm not sure why Montel and affirmations and New Year and all of this car talk is with me today, but I'm sharing it, and you can do with it as you please. For me, I'm paying attention to the good, turning my back on the bad, and I'm moving ahead today...at least today. I've kicked cancer in the cajones, I've survived abusive relationships, and I've survived the worst relationship ever and even came to love the bitch. Me.


Today I can do anything. For what it's worth, I hope you feel the same positive surge of energy that has bitten me on the butt lately.


Here's how you can read up on Montel's show and book: http://www.montelshow.com/

...and you know how to reach me if you're here.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 Comments:

At 7:23 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Great post. I needed the reminders - and that surge of energy, "to bite me on the butt."

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Shesawriter said...

Wish I'd read this before and during the holidays. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Total-e-bound eBooks